Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth vrs archery seasons

Youth vrs archery seasons

I know this is a touchy subject and I bring it up with trepidation, but considering all the controversial and wide range of opinions expressed in the past, I wonder how many are aware of the youth/archery deer season combinations they use in the Robson Valley (Region 7a). My daughter and son-in-law took their kids to Valemont this weekend to give it a try.

Of course as far as Mule Deer are concerned it would be dependent on populations that could sustain a doe harvest,,,, but as far as White Tailed Deer are concerned,,, I don't see many areas in the interior where this or even more opportunity would not be a sustainable strategy.

What do you guys think?

For both Mule Deer and White Tailed Deer:
    Regular GOS season - Sept 10th to Nov 20th - bucks only
    Youth GOS Season - Sept 10th to Nov 20th - any deer.
    Regular Bow only GOS season - Sept 1st to 9th - bucks only
    Youth Bow season - Sept 1st to 9th - any deer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth vrs archery seasons

The criteria should be less for youth and first year hunters throughout the WHOLE season.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Sounds Like a lot of Common sense to me, But be careful you may get a wicked flaming for using it on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Sounds Like a lot of Common sense to me, But be careful you may get a wicked flaming for using it on this board.
    I know, you guys will keep a water hose handy,,,right...?

Andy, I'm quite sure the bowhunting community will support this. It's the model we had previously been trying to gain respect for that never earned the attention or support of others. The regs have changed, there are new agendas and patterns for regulation surfacing. This is consistent with those trends.

I can't see why this would flair up with opposition as a proposal.
    Last edited by J_T; 10-05-2008 at 06:21 AM.

I would support a Youth , Bow Hunting season any time, as long it is the youth that is doing the shooting, and Not the Dad as I have witnessed in the Youth Gun seasons.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Andy, I'm quite sure the bowhunting community will support this. It's the model we had previously been trying to gain respect for that never earned the attention or support of others. The regs have changed, there are new agendas and patterns for regulation surfacing. This is consistent with those trends.

I can't see why this would flair up with opposition as a proposal.
    This is the second year for this long youth hunt in 7a but I don't see a trend developing yet, it's the only region with such a hunt so far. I don't even see a strong agenda to support youth hunts in some regions.

Opposition might come from conservation concerns regarding such a liberal harvest of antlerless deer Mule Deer and the fact that it's an antlerless (any deer) hunt is the biggest (and porobably only) advantage for the youth hunters. In areas where the long antlerless youth season is not sustainable it's probably of no value, and might be a "no go". Most regions don't even have a youth seaon for mule deer at all.

There's certainly no concern with White Tails in my opinion, there's probably just as many WTD in BC right now as there is in Alberta and Alberta manages WTD by an any deer GOS in the mountain and foothill blocks with no conservation concerns and high trophy potential.... probably like we should be doing as well,, at least in the southern Interior and Peace areas..!
    Last edited by 6616; 10-05-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
    I would support a Youth , Bow Hunting season any time, as long it is the youth that is doing the shooting, and Not the Dad as I have witnessed in the Youth Gun seasons.
    I guess when you have the lowest budgets and staffing levels in the country for wildlife management and conservation officers, enforcement is always going to be an issue. I have seen too many viable proposals rejected on the grounds that they're unenforcable, this is not a good reason for us to accept restricted hunting opportunities in my opinion, we should be pressing for more enforcement staff instead.

Actually in region 1 we have youth/bow seasons just as you have outlined. As JT has said this is what the bowhunting community has been after for some time. Great idea.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Why should it be restricted to bows for youth? My kids dont shoot bows and they are very expensive to outfit. Its bad enough with all the other expense's.
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........