Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the best hunting accomadation?

Re: the best hunting accomadation?

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Try sleeping in a wall tent in minus 20+ weather. Those guys have to stoke the fire all night long and sleep close to the stove in their -40 sleeping bags. I will stick to my warm winterized forced air furnace camper. Ask where these guys sleep during the long hauls, theres no hotels in the bush at 10:00 at night and sleeping sitting up in a pickup is bushleague.Most guys in a camper are towing other off road equipment to get around on so no need to remove camper.

WRONG!! stayed in a 14x14 wall tent last year deer hunting up north in novemeber, down to -25 to -30 PLUS wind!! , air tight stove, -10 sleeping bag on a cot, we all slept allong the back wall, the closest to the stove (6 feet away) was too hot, the rest of us were just fine, toasty warm, fire stoked/filled 1-2 times per night, no biggy!!

loved it, wall tents are the best, leave your boots on, occasional spill, who cares. I have a new travel trailer too and have used it, nice but more work, clean up, weight, less access to certain areas,.......if i coul donly have 1 it would be a wall tent hands down in ANY weather.
    Time waits for no one, Hunt Now!

Travel trailer or slide in camper, hands down. What I don't really like about tents are:

you have to put them up
    you have to take them down
    [and you have to do it again if you want to move]
    you have to dry them out after hunt
    once they get wet and freeze, they don't pack too well
    they can collapse under heavy snow
    bears walk right in
    you have to cut wood for heat
    you have no fridge or freezer
    you have to watch where you stake them, if your on low ground your
    floor will fill with water...[or trench]...

Tents are great in some instances, but for my pick if we can haul in a trailer or pack a slide in camper...thats my first choice every time.

I use the inside of my truck for a spike camp and then I have a new wall tent for when I am back at the main camp..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Early season we take travel trailers,nice and comfortable, no bugs, has water stove and is self contained. Also dont have to worry about freezing water tanks and pipes as well as roads are usually not muddy or snowy which can be a challenge towing fairly large trailers. In the late season we use wall tents because we find it easier to dry everything and with a good wood stove have no problem keeping warm at -20.

Quote Originally Posted by lightmag View Post
    WRONG!! stayed in a 14x14 wall tent last year deer hunting up north in novemeber, down to -25 to -30 PLUS wind!! , air tight stove, -10 sleeping bag on a cot, we all slept allong the back wall, the closest to the stove (6 feet away) was too hot, the rest of us were just fine, toasty warm, fire stoked/filled 1-2 times per night, no biggy!!

loved it, wall tents are the best, leave your boots on, occasional spill, who cares. I have a new travel trailer too and have used it, nice but more work, clean up, weight, less access to certain areas,.......if i coul donly have 1 it would be a wall tent hands down in ANY weather.
    Agree 100%, I've used them all over 40 + yrs of hunting and the wall tent wins by a mile!! The "can't move" easy reasoning from some is just there lack of good scouting and planning.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Travel trailer or slide in camper, hands down......for my pick if we can haul in a trailer or pack a slide in camper...thats my first choice every time.
    So you are a softy, nothing like hunting with a Nancy .
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Yet another vote for a wall tent.I have hunted in Trailers ,campers and slept in the back of the truck..Some of the posts I have read, I get the feeling that they have never used a wall tent. They are way better than any kind of an RV..Now a couple of months in Arizona I wont be sleeping in a wall tent.

Quote Originally Posted by .303 View Post
    I was at the Hunting show at the Tradex a couple of years ago and saw this thing.

http://www.tipitent.com/

It seemed like it would be spacious and warm......don't know.....don't own one.
    A friend of mine has one of them and he says it's the best thing going. And he has tried them all!

A horse trailer (with the horseshit cleaned out) with airtight heater is pretty nice.

tandem axle enclosed work trailer with side door with custom wall tent fabric/awning off the side of the trailer connected with snaps and zippers with window and door on wall tent section plus a hole in the wall tent area for a fireplace made out a keg!!!!!!best set up hands down, can put a quad in the trailer, then when u unload, simply set up the bed in the front of the trailer (double) and enough room for two more cots as well. I'll try and get some pics of it later.