Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: the best hunting accomadation?

Re: the best hunting accomadation?

not really sure what to use this spring as i like the dog box on the truck and the camper i gutted so it is just the steel frame/shell
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

I had an older model truck camper and sold it after a couple of near misses while taking it off in the field, the old hydraulic jacks are some scary stuff, especially if your truck is high (mine had a leveling kit with 33"s). They are also very top heavy with can be dicey at times, limited space inside too.

I prefer trailers now as all you need to do is detach the tongue and you are good to go, the lightweight models can even be turned around by hand if you take them somewhere you shouldnt have. Bolers, cadets, bigfoots and escape trailers are nice, as are the hard walled folding trailer like chalet and A-liner.

Or a modified cargo trailer with a flipped axle works well too, bonus is that it doubles as a quad/bike hauler, you could probably pick a used one up for around 3 grand and spent another grand outfitting it with insulation, a stove or furnace and folding bunks and shelves.

Wall tents are great too if you know where you want to base camp, we used to make them for free out of used 2x4s and plastic house wrap, -20 is no problem but someones getting up at 3am to stoke it up or else!! remember to put your beer in a cooler during the day or it will be frozen by the time you come back from hunting which just sucks.

The last couple of years have used the 28 ft holiday trailer. Great for all amenities but in the long run it is going to cost you. When I got home from a 2 week hunt from the last week of Sept - 1st week of Oct it took me 10 days to dry out the trailer. 2 inches of water in the soup bowls in the back of the cupboard. Switched to a 12x14 wall tent with a 7.5 ft cook shack attached to the front. This was also ordered with the frame. Going to be awesome.