Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

Re: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

I really don't think training is the Idea, we have to do some sort of course before we get a hunter number, True.
    Ok, now in order to be a bow hunter you must do no course but the core should be enough...and people should understand you have to practice...but to make a MANDATORY course would be detrimental. It would be like the course in order to purchase firearms. Next thing you know we will have to register or bows...(i am going on a tangent reeling it in now).
    If there were a course like the ones they put on for learning to ride motorcycles that is an optional course that you go to to learn cause you want to, that would be more benifical in my mind.
    IE: HOW TO be a BETTER bowhunter....

So, no not saying education is bad...Mandatory education is bad

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    It's always interesting to see a group of people attempt to kill participation in thier chosen activity by over regulating qualifications and equipment.
    Sorry to hear that's your impression of this. It certainly isn;t mine.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Crazypop View Post
    I
    If there were a course like the ones they put on for learning to ride motorcycles that is an optional course that you go to to learn cause you want to, that would be more benifical in my mind.
    IE: HOW TO be a BETTER bowhunter....

So, no not saying education is bad...Mandatory education is bad

There is the IBEP course. Makes much more sense to me to encourage peopel to take it, rather than force them to.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Sorry to hear that's your impression of this. It certainly isn;t mine.
    It may not be your impression, but a mandatory course will not encourage participation, nor will limiting weapons choice.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I've bought a tag and I'm going to shoot a deer with my crossbow. But I will only be allowed if I am disabled, by law.

When you hit 50 I'm going to scream for eye examinations, and requalification every 2 years.

Semi-auto rifles should be banned because nobody needs them.

And make sure you drive a wedge between all of your sporting pursuits, because the government will take care of us all, and legislate ethics.

you guys make me sick, Mr Cam, an inexperienced hunter out

I don't want to be associated with you anymore.
    Last edited by Mr Cam; 09-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.

I have a bow I can hunt with, and I'm just now getting to the point where I'm reasonably satisfied with shot groupings. I haven't even begun to tune broadheads yet. I'm not ready to hunt with it.
    The likely scenario is that jokers like these wouldn't even come close to a deer.
    The worst case scenario is they might wound one and it runs off and dies someplace and isn't recovered.
    Nevertheless, I don't want to see more regulation, but I would like to see an emphasis placed on training and dammit, the stores have a responsibility to at least encourage that. Sending some clown off with a new bow that he doesn't know how to shoot is irresponsible of them, and that's actually a store I'd like to not spend money in.
    I was in Boorman Archery one day and some clown came in and wanted to buy some stuff and he didn't have a clue. He had a bow that some friend gave to him that he didn't know how to shoot, didn't know what the weight or draw length was, and he wanted to start screwing around with releases (he didn't know much about them either and was shopping price, not function), but the sales guy at least tried to talk sense into him. He told him he could sell him stuff but if he didn't know what he was doing, he wouldn't be very happy and could very well wind up hurting himself or screwing up a perfectly good bow. I give the guy points for at least trying to help Bozo to see that he really needed to educate himself before doing anything rash.
    Last edited by Edward Teach; 09-18-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    Your account has been banned permanently. Reason: Your account has been blocked due to comments that could be construed as hate speech. For more information, please visit: http://cbc.ca/submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    It may not be your impression, but a mandatory course will not encourage participation, nor will limiting weapons choice.
    GH, If you read back, I took the word Mandatory out of my statement as I released it was a poor choice of words.

I agree, mandatory anything usually limits participation.

I still feel there is a flaw with the process. Getting bowhunting numbers to increase at all costs isn't anyones intention either I believe. I feel that there is alot to gain by having better informed hunters (regardless of weapon) on a whole.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

No one forces you to practice shooting in order to be a hunter. I have seen people that have been shooting for years both rifle and bow and still have a flinch or pull shot that could not be missed by most if they tried. Practice or education does not make up for natural talent or abilities, some people just plain can't shoot, do we need to have every hunter regardless of weapon of choice qualify before we allow them out in the bush, "you can't hunt because you are a crappy shot" Training has it's place but if you don't have the apptitude for the sport are you open to being banned from it? If that was the case what about all thise a$$clowns we come across during our daily drives that cannot drive properly, they have gone through the training,testing and someone has OK'd them to join the rest of us. How much more do we want big brother regulating us in our daily activities? Who sets the standard? Find a system without a flaw and someone will think one up!

I think the majority of people that buy a bow with the intent to hunt with do shoot and practise often enough before hunting season regardless of any programs that are available out there.

If 2 guys buy a bow a few days before a bow season with no previous experience that would be highly unethical imo and I Can see why some would want people to at least practice with their equipment before they head to the field. Its just plain common sense but there are a fair amount that obviosly seem to lack it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cam View Post
    I've bought a tag and I'm going to shoot a deer with my crossbow. But I will only be allowed if I am disabled, by law.

When you hit 50 I'm going to scream for eye examinations, and requalification every 2 years.

Semi-auto rifles should be banned because nobody needs them.

And make sure you drive a wedge between all of your sporting pursuits, because the government will take care of us all, and legislate ethics.

you guys make me sick, Mr Cam, an inexperienced hunter out

I don't want to be associated with you anymore.

??????????? WOW.......Prozac needed ????
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main