Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

Re: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I was in one of our local hunting/fishing stores when two young gentlemen walk in and inquire about buying a bow as they are going deer/moose hunting this weekend....

.....yep that was my reaction

So the saleslady proceeds to give them the salespitch on which bow is their best buy since they are new to the sport and they don't have much money

....yep that was my next reaction.

I wanted to suggest that they practise before they go hunting but was hoping the saleslady would have but didn't. (They were also very inexperienced hunters judging by what they were saying.)

I came away wondering that there was something quite wrong with the whole picture. I thought the best way to deal with this would be to have to present some type of card that said you passed a bow hunting training course before a bow would be sold to you. I am sure there is a better way....

The store wanted their money, the lads wanted a bow to go hunting with for this weekend......fortunately neither happened because they quickly realized it was too expensive for their budget.

I left feeling somewhat helpless as I can definitely see the void that exists with the present lack of training requirement and the potential consequences of it all.
    Hunting is already over regulated and has to many mandatory obligations attached to it. Adding more will drive even more people away from our sport.

Going by your post the problem you encountered in that store will sort itself out.
    These guys have no experience as hunters and never shot a bow, soon they will learn the hard way that hunting is not as easy as they may have thought and give up on the idea.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

You think they could have gotten close enough to even take a shot given their level of experience?
    Maybe they could just beef up the bow hunting content in the CORE course?
    My personal experience of the CORE course was it was a complete waste of time. But that may have just been my experience with my instructor. Now I'm having visions of some hunter who has never touched a bow training people for bow hunting? One of my main criticisms of CORE was the subject matter was way too broad to be taught in such a brief amount of time. You could only very vaguely scratch the surface of so many topics. To introduce yet more topics would only diminish the limited effectiveness of the course.

Maybe we could add that they have to go out with someone who has hunted with a bow...you guys should put your names in for a Bow-hunter apprentice program...probably might work!

Adding another course would be like making people take a road test for a bike after they take a road test for a car...same rules....diffent vehicle...
    Maybe we should even get tested when we buy a quad...I never quaded before...can I go into the muskeg...why not!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    You think they could have gotten close enough to even take a shot given their level of experience?

My personal experience of the CORE course was it was a complete waste of time. But that may have just been my experience with my instructor. Now I'm having visions of some hunter who has never touched a bow training people for bow hunting? One of my main criticisms of CORE was the subject matter was way too broad to be taught in such a brief amount of time. You could only very vaguely scratch the surface of so many topics. To introduce yet more topics would only diminish the limited effectiveness of the course.
    I'm sure there are good substantial reasons for your thinking "the CORE course was a complete waste of time" (although I don't know what they would be), however I don't understand why you would think that way?

You were not born with most of the knowledge that you learnt in CORE, perhaps you learnt from a friend or relative but surely you picked up some good animal and bird knowledge, ethical behaviour, understanding of the regulations etc etc from your instructor? If not I would suggest you contact BCWF and let them know about your experience with that instructor!

Tom
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Absolutely.

Either a course, or proficiency test should be administered.

Contrary to what some have said it's not "the same as a shotgun or rifle" (paraphrase). The arc on a crossbow bolt or long arrow is a world apart from the arc and hitting power of a bullet or slug.
    The judgment of range to the animal is crucial, and the other factors, such as shot placement, obstructing brush etc are exponentially more important.

Add to the fact that there are thousands that just buy a crossbow as they would a shotgun, but with an eye to merely extending their season, and with little or no interest in archery, or learning the finer points of a fine sport, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Anyone that's a huge fan of my posts, and hey....who isn't!!??.... .. knows I don't like crossbows. They're like training wheels. You can use it if you need it for a year or two...then get serious.
    Then it's just embarrassing to be seen with one. Unless you have a disability...or are required to wear a Hockey Helmet when you go outside the house.

No statistics can ever be really available for the numbers of animals wounded that live, and that are wounded and lost to become Coyote Fodder, but I'm confident that those numbers could be significantly reduced with mentoring and education. And the only way to keep most people honest is to make them pass a test. Sad but true, it's just human nature.
    Most people do what they think they can get away with.
    If you bridle at that remark, look at human history.

(Wow...I used a hunter education thread...and twisted it to rag on crossbows again......Man, I'm good!)

Let the SH*T storm begin!!!

Regardless if you agree of disagree (which is fine), the point I was trying to get across was how shocked I was when the store when I overheard the conversation.

My personal ethics are a little different as is my bowhunting confidence when it comes to getting it right. I did not go hunting for two yrs from the time I got my bow. Some folks are ok to go after a few hours of practise, others wait yrs. We all live with our decisions.

So again I could careless about the weapon. It could have been a rifle or shotgun. It was a bow so I put this in the bow forum.

I've always viewed education as a good thing. Mandatory was a poor choice of word on my part.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Crazypop View Post

Adding another course would be like making people take a road test for a bike after they take a road test for a car...same rules....diffent vehicle...
    !

So you are in favor of a bow hunting test since there actually is a road test for a class 6 licence even tho you have a 5

CORE needs a revamp ... as i am of the opinion that it was a waste ...heres why ... who cares the history of the shot gun and how they came up with 20 gauge, 12 gauge etc.. there was very little on animal ID except for Birds ... well I aint a bird hunter ('xept Turkey)...nothing on shot placement , care in the feild with a downed animal ... some touched on ethics ie: posted land etc...
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 09-18-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Thumbs down Re: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post

So you are in favor of a bow hunting test since there actually is a road test for a class 6 licence even tho you have a 5
    Exactly! just another money grab used by the govt!

Too bad training is viewed as a money grab and not an educational tool....

With the negative press towards hunting in general we are only as strong as our weakest links. I think a well run well thought out course taught by talent instructors would be a good thing. (If that were possible....)
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

It's always interesting to see a group of people attempt to kill participation in thier chosen activity by over regulating qualifications and equipment.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!