Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

I was in one of our local hunting/fishing stores when two young gentlemen walk in and inquire about buying a bow as they are going deer/moose hunting this weekend....

.....yep that was my reaction

So the saleslady proceeds to give them the salespitch on which bow is their best buy since they are new to the sport and they don't have much money

....yep that was my next reaction.

I wanted to suggest that they practise before they go hunting but was hoping the saleslady would have but didn't. (They were also very inexperienced hunters judging by what they were saying.)

I came away wondering that there was something quite wrong with the whole picture. I thought the best way to deal with this would be to have to present some type of card that said you passed a bow hunting training course before a bow would be sold to you. I am sure there is a better way....

The store wanted their money, the lads wanted a bow to go hunting with for this weekend......fortunately neither happened because they quickly realized it was too expensive for their budget.

I left feeling somewhat helpless as I can definitely see the void that exists with the present lack of training requirement and the potential consequences of it all.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mandatory Bow Hunter Training

I can't say I agree. We already need to have the CORE before being aloud to hunt. Which, if I remember, touches on bow hunting, and just as importantly touches on ethics.

That scenero is no different than someone walking into the same store, buying a new gun and scope having never shot before ( or is there a live fire requirement on either the FAC or CORE now?) and going hunting that evening, or a cross-bow (let's say they don't have an FAC).

They can do as much damage with a gun / cross-bow due to inexperience as they can with a compound.

My $0.02

They can do as much damage with a gun / cross-bow due to inexperience as they can with a compound.
    My thoughts exactly. Wait until they wound an animal and it gets away. Then they will feel like real butt shmacks.
    "Our comfort zones can be our greatest enemy to our potential"

I don't support mandatory bow hunter training at all. The gov does not need any more ideas on how to add fees. I have seen just as many rifle hunters(if not more)as bowhunters that need to spend more time in the range before they shoot at game. If this is a real problem than all hunters should have to prove they are capable not just bowhunters. The truth is I would have been blunt and told those young guys that they would not be ready to bow hunt by the weekend do to the practice need to shoot a bow properly.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    I can't say I agree. We already need to have the CORE before being aloud to hunt. Which, if I remember, touches on bow hunting, and just as importantly touches on ethics.

That scenero is no different than someone walking into the same store, buying a new gun and scope having never shot before ( or is there a live fire requirement on either the FAC or CORE now?) and going hunting that evening, or a cross-bow (let's say they don't have an FAC).

My $0.02

I totally agree with this. What is the difference between a rifle, shotgun, or bow? If you can't shoot you can't shoot. It all comes down to one thing: ethics. And like Kirby said once (Speaking of which, where the hell has Kirby been?), "Ethics are like underwear, everyone has them, it's just that some are shittier than others".
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Making bow hunters pass a mandatory course is about the same as saying "we don't want any more bow hunters in BC"

It's just a weapon, it can be used or misused, just like a rifle, shotgun or handgun...

PS: it's not difficult to grasp the basic techniques of killing an animal at close range with a crossbow or compound, if you have a well set up bow and soem previous hunitng experience.

I killed animals 18 hours after picking up a crossbow and takign a few practice shots for the first time in 15 years, and I managed to shoot groups in a couple of inches with my buddy's compound, after not shooting bows in longer than 15 years...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Bow Walker Guest

Hunting in general - killing game animals, or birds - should require the 'hunter' to pass a "course" and earn a certificate of achievment before they can purchase a 'killing implement'.

Now, I realize that this is a fairly broad-based statement and that it has plenty of loopholes in it - but - it just might go a long way towards creating respect and responsibility in hunters.

....just my $2.00 worth (inflation's a bitch, ain't it?)

Being as inexperienced as they appear, I don't think they have a snowballs hope of actually getting close enough to take a shot.....(I Hope)
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I don't think that bowhunter Education course needs to be manditory. The two key things all bowhunters must have in my opinion are shooting profficiency and ethics. It doesn't matter if you can accurately shoot 15 yards or 60 yards proficiently, you need to know how far you can accurately shoot and have the ethics and self control to stick to it. No course can teach this. Same goes for rifle hunting but I think it is too often abused by bowhunters.

Maybe they could just beef up the bow hunting content in the CORE course? I think allot more guys are taking advantage of the bow seasons so it wouldn't hurt to update the bow hunting portion and touch on the subject a bit more..I know for me personally if I had to go out and take another course to bow hunt I would not bother...