Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what kind of tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes?

Re: what kind of tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    I WILL be eventually replacing the Manfrotto but NEXT time I will try before I buy....

steven
    I have to agree that this is the way to do it if possible but it's kind of hard when you're buying from a website?
    Originally posted by Yappy Yoodle Dog 02/04/08

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?

I am in the same boat as you, trying to find a light tripod that can take some abuse. The Manfrotto looks like it is to short, it would be nice to have a 30 inch high tripod. I tried the Leupold short model but it is to heavy. I guess I will stick with the slik u5000 since I have broke everything else I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosey View Post
    I am in the same boat as you, trying to find a light tripod that can take some abuse. The Manfrotto looks like it is to short, it would be nice to have a 30 inch high tripod. I tried the Leupold short model but it is to heavy. I guess I will stick with the slik u5000 since I have broke everything else I have.
    Hey Fosey,

How tall do you need to go? The manfrotto 718SHB extends up to 48.5" with the middle column extended and it's closed length is only 16". Small enough to fit in the side pocket of my J107 Eberlestock which is what I'm looking to be able to do. If you want taller you can go with the Manfrotto 718B it extends to 65.5" but it's closed length is 19.3" and it weighs 3.1 lbs...still small enough to fit in the side pocket of many of the decent packs out there. The side pockets on my j107 can accomodate about 22.5" on a tight fit.

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?

Well, I finally made a decision and went out and bought the Manfrotto 718B...it's a little bit longer than the 718SHB (now I can use it with my DLSR) and tiny bit heavier (.2 lbs). It's too early to tell but I think I'll be pretty happy with it. It fits in my J107 side pocket with quite a bit of room to spare. I bought it at a local shop here in Victoria (Lens & Shutter). It cost me just over 140 bucks after tax. I probably could have saved a few bucks and bought it off the net but for a few dollars more I'd rather support the local business's.

Anyways, I thought I'd post this little bit of info to add to the thread just in case there's some other guy out there looking for the same kind of info on tripods I was.

If anybody is interested in the specs for the this tripod here is the link:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2051

Thanks again for the all the helpful feedback.