Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what kind of tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes?

what kind of tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes?

I have been having a heck of a time trying to figure out what kind of tripod to buy for my new spotting scope - 15x45x60 Bushnell Elite. I'd obviously like something small and light and I'd also like to be able to keep some money in my wallet. I'm not against spending 100 bucks or so on a half decent tripod but I don't need to spend more money to get carbon fibre etc. If you guys that use spotting scopes could give me some advice or feedback on your experience I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Yappy Yoodle Dog 02/04/08

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: what kind of tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes?

If $100 is your budget then the Manfrotto 718 SHB is recommended by many here. I went with it and it was $100 bucks for me on eBay. It's a nice lower end tripod if you want my opinion.

If you decide to get this Tripod make sure it's coming with the METAL quick release base plate instead of the plastic POS it usually comes with. I paid $30 for the metal base plate from a photo store in Ontario.

The plastic one can cause you issues when it breaks. Like having to send your scope in for warranty repair!

Carl
    Last edited by bigwhiteys; 09-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.

I use one of those cheap-o wal-mart ones. Plastic and aluminum are very light, and if I tear it up, I can buy another one for $25. It doesn't pan very smoothly, but mostly when using the spotter, I just need to get lined up and then lock it down and stare into it. The tripod makes a nice stable gun-rest too.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    If $100 is your budget then the Manfrotto 718 SHB is recommended by many here. I went with it and it was $100 bucks for me on eBay. It's a nice lower end tripod if you want my opinion.

If you decide to get this Tripod make sure it's coming with the METAL quick release base plate instead of the plastic POS it usually comes with. I paid $30 for the metal base plate from a photo store in Ontario.

The plastic one can cause you issues when it breaks. Like having to send your scope in for warranty repair!

Carl
    Thanks Carl,

I was actually contemplating buying either the 718SHB or the 718B until I read some negative feedback on this model. I was considering the 718B because it extends a little longer; originally I was thinking I might use the tripod for my DSLR as well; it's only 3 ounces heavier. Having said this, I read that the adjustments knobs are plastic and they can become brittle in cold weather and break very easily so I decided against it. Are the adjustment knobs on the legs metal or plastic? It's good to know that metal is an option for the quick release plate. Do you remember the photo store in Ontario that you purchased the plate from?

Another question : Is it possible for me to re-take my CORE and get another hunter number so I can buy two hunting licenses and double my chances of killing something?

Quote Originally Posted by brotherjack View Post
    I use one of those cheap-o wal-mart ones. Plastic and aluminum are very light, and if I tear it up, I can buy another one for $25. It doesn't pan very smoothly, but mostly when using the spotter, I just need to get lined up and then lock it down and stare into it. The tripod makes a nice stable gun-rest too.
    Thanks Brother Jack,

I haven't checked out Walmart. I'd kind of like it to pan smoothly as this is what I intend on doing with it most of the time....25 bucks is a pretty cheap deal though.

37 views and only 4 replies and two of them are from me....c'mon guys help me out a little. I'm not asking for your secret spot or anything...lol!

I use a Manfrotto for a swaro 60x. However for my lighter baush and lomb elite i use a much lighter flimsier tripod.

Probably have that many views since people want the same info you do!!

Anyway, Bigwhiteys nailed it...X2
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Hi Bruin,

Thanks for the reply! I assume that you use the swaro most of the time? Do you know your minimum folded height/maximum extended height of your manfrotto? I'm guessing that glassing is usually done at about 20-24"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Probably have that many views since people want the same info you do!!

Anyway, Bigwhiteys nailed it...X2
    Thanks for the reassurance Gatehouse! I was starting to get a little self conscience there for a second...lol. I'm definitely leaning toward the Manfrotto 718SHB. It seems like the best deal for the $$$ in my novice opinion. I'm just wondering if the guys that have used them have had any issue with the plastic becoming brittle and breaking?