Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski spotting scopes

Swarovski spotting scopes

Does anyone have the ATS 65 with the HD feature? Is there a noticeable difference? Is there a $600. difference? (Cabelas pricing)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Swarovski spotting scopes

Yes there is a noticable difference... From some of the birding reviews I've read if you want the scope to be comparable to Zeiss, Leica you'd want the HD glass.

Carl

Personally I believe you need a good spotting scope but even the swarovski HD gave me a eye/headache 2 days in a row. At first I thought it was the binos but I am 90% confident it was the Spotting scope because I didnt look through it the rest of the trip yet I did continue glassing with the binos and never got a headache. But maybe I was looking through it in an incorrect manor. However I also got the same eye ache/ headache with a bushnell spotting scope on a previous trip. Anyone eles have the same problem? Maybe I am just looking too hard for too long?

But maybe I was looking through it in an incorrect manor. However I also got the same eye ache/ headache with a bushnell spotting scope on a previous trip. Anyone eles have the same problem? Maybe I am just looking too hard for too long?
    Take small breaks and glass with binos for a while, then back to the spotter... I've spent hours behind my spotter doing this without issue. Try not to squint as it will make your eye muscles sore after a while.

Carl

Thanks Carl, so how long will you use the spotter for at a time, and what do you do with the other eye? I was trying to keep it closed or putting my palm over it.

Thanks Carl, so how long will you use the spotter for at a time, and what do you do with the other eye? I was trying to keep it closed or putting my palm over it.
    I will use my spotter for hours at a time if I am in a good vantage point. I think it's also important to be comfortable with a good tripod. I find if I keep my eyes centered there is less discomfort. When I get to the point of having to hold my palm over my opposite eye (muscle tires) I take a small "bino break" and then right back to the spotter.

Carl

I have the Swarovski 65mm HD with the angled 20-60x eyepiece..and on the recent trip spent 10 hours PLUS per day using the spotting scope...

This was a replacement for the Leupold HD spotter...no comparison..the SWARO was amazingly clear..picking up such fine detail it was IMPRESSIVE... the colors and clarity were awesome HIGHLY RECOMENDED...the ZEISS also was very clear..

I found the difference between Hd and not very appreciable...a very good LIFELONG investment.....$$$$$ but worth every penny..

Steven Rupp

I wouldn't buy the Swaro without HD

Look at the $600 this way- A case of beer is about $20. That's about 30 -35 cases of beer. You will buy that amount of beer in a year, easy.

The Swaro will still be performing excellently in 10 years.

The beer will be long gone.

And, if I am around, you will be buying much more beer...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I wouldn't buy the Swaro without HD

Look at the $600 this way- A case of beer is about $20. That's about 30 -35 cases of beer. You will buy that amount of beer in a year, easy.

The Swaro will still be performing excellently in 10 years.

The beer will be long gone.

And, if I am around, you will be buying much more beer...
    Thanks Gate for putting it in terms I understand and I am sure you'll be around for more than a few of them
    Reasons for considering the Swaro:
    1. Zeiss eyepiece is 15x45, Swaro 20x60
    2. The new Leica Televid APO is $3200 out of the question

Keep in mind magnification over abotu 40X isn't going to be of great benefit once it warms up and thermals create mirage. Tha'ts not to say the 60X is of no use, just somethign to think about.

I really reccomend looking through both at teh same time if you can.

My eyes prefer the Ziess then Swaro. My eyes prefer Leica Ultravid binos and then Swaro then Ziess...

Everyones milage may vary.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!