Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting carbon arrows

Re: Cutting carbon arrows

Eye protection is a must! When a blade on a saw explodes it is not much fun.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    If you are using anything but the proper saw, make sure you carefully inspects the cut off ends before gluing inserts in. Dremels often tend to cause the carbon to splinter or crack at the ends which is bad news for and just a recepie for an arrow to shatter or drive a carbon splinter in your hand. This is exactly what happened to a fellow I shot with in Nanaimo last year
    Invest in an ASD from G5 Outdoors (Montec). It'll square the ends of the shafts and also your inserts, so that everything is "true". Makes tuning your broadheads a snap.

Also another piece of equipment that (IMHO) is indispensable is the arrow spinner. It'll show you just how true everything is - which is essential to good arrow flight.

I had a CDN tire dremel knock off that I turned into a saw .. worked well for the few arrows I used to cut ... Now I have the Apple Archery arrow saw ... way much better ..
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

I use an Apple saw at work - those things are awesome. Now when I need to cut arrows for my own use - I go to work.

Hmmm and so I have discovered that a dremel is not a great tool for cutting arrows......at least I practised first on a few old ones.

I can tune arrows using the dremel (since I spent $$$$$ on one already) and once I know my length, I'll take them and get them cut locally.

I wish I had let this thread run abit before I ran out and bougth a dremel. Oh well, I am sure it will serve other purposes.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Chris has a special cut off wheel at home but if he is not around I use the cut off wheel in our shop at work. Make sure arrow is clamped very well and full face shield is on and lower that big 14" wheel down. works great.
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills