Thread: Scope Upgrade - What Do I Need?

Scope Upgrade - What Do I Need?

I'm looking to swap the Simmons scope off my Savage 7mm with a Leupold VXII I bought a little while ago. My question is, do I need to upgrade the rings / bases as well? Or will the supplied ones do? (Both scopes are 3-9x40)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope Upgrade - What Do I Need?

Assuming both scopes are 1" tubes you shouldn't have to swap the rings, if they are working well for you. What do you have on it now?

I'm not sure what brand the base / rings are as they came with the rifle and scope as a package. Both are 1" tubes and I haven't had any issues with the rings before.

spend the money now...once and get it bore sighted and then get your choice of ammo and go to the range and verify where you want the range to be ,like say 1-1/2'' high at 100yrds....
    Get good qaulity rings and bases and you will never have to worry about them breaking ...
    Just trying to hlp you spend your money this morning.
    Rob

You can always post photos of your setup here and someone can tell you what you have now. You probibly have weaver bases and rings, which will work fine, they just aren't the best looking ones around.

If you don't mind the look, and they work fine, why bother changing them? But if you are going to upgrade, check out leupold, burris, warne or talley for a few ideas on what else is out there. You can always keep your same bases and upgrade your rings (unless you go for talley rings, they have their own bases).

FLHTCUI,
    Thanks for the advice. As this is an entry level Rifle / Scope package, for now I'm just going to do the scope and will upgrade the rifle next year and switch the scope to it with new bases / rings.

This is the package from the SIR / Cabelas website.
    http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod...dcfaa6e34942e1

You can't see the bases / rings real well and I'll try to post a pic later of the actual rifle. I've been in contact with SIR and they said they aren't told what bases / rings are on it but they "look like Weaver style".

replace the rings, they are crap. I would suggest spending at least $50 on mounts
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004