Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEH Goat in MU 3-33 Zone A

LEH Goat in MU 3-33 Zone A

Hi Folks
    I'm planning a 6-7 day LEH goat hunt the last week in September.
    Greatly appreciate any thoughts, sighting info, hikes, roads in, slopes, base camp etc.
    Would love to get my goat this year (finally got a draw after 10+ yrs of trying).
    This zone lies between the south shores of Carpenter lk. and the north shores of Anderson Lk.
    I've got all the google earth maps marked etc but there is no better info than "first hand" ....
    Would also like to know if any of you have seen Mr. Muley in the area as well?
    Thanks in advance for anything you can throw at me

Cheers

BS

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Goat in MU 3-33 Zone A

Hey Big slapper, a buddy got this draw this year, can you share any intel? cheers!

I drew that tag last season, 3-33 was full of great goat country until you enter zone A where everything changes to lush green "mr.muley" town which by the way I saw plenty of in summer
    Was able to locate goats in one small area but keep your head on a swivel cus if theres any fog or cloud youll pass rite by not even knowing the peak is there at all

I have zone F right beside you. Also going last week sept from the intel i have gathered you might have a harder time locating goats. I would for sure recommend heading out 2-3 times this summer and locate some goats so you at least have a head start come sept. Im doing the aame thing heading out multiple weekends and finding the goat before i arrive to hunt. Best of luck ill wave from the peak over to your peak

Quote Originally Posted by Hillerbillyvan View Post
    I drew that tag last season, 3-33 was full of great goat country until you enter zone A where everything changes to lush green "mr.muley" town which by the way I saw plenty of in summer
    Was able to locate goats in one small area but keep your head on a swivel cus if theres any fog or cloud youll pass rite by not even knowing the peak is there at all
    But Were you hunting more north/east sides of 3-33A though?

Basically my trip ended up just being kind of a scouting trip by atv, spent 5 days covering every trail we could get to in the whole area
    By the time we located them it wasnt very feasable
    Well that and i discovered my partner never had any intention of actually leaving the atv so goat hunting for me was mostly doomed from the get go

you have to hike in that zone. Lots of goats. And there's at least one gigantic billy left after last season I couldn't get him, I got his cousin.
    I think we hiked 25000' vertical in 4 days over 30kms.
    Just look on google earth pick a mountain and go up. Glass from a ridge and be prepared to drop 4-7000' and go back up again once you spot your billy. Easy!�� Maybe you'll get lucky and spot one on your own ridge, that was my hope but it wasn't meant to be. Lots of g bear sign and limited water up high on the ridges the south side of our glassing ridge was dry and the north was cliffs straight down 1000' to crevasses on glaciers.
    Beautiful though. Make sure your partner is up for it my poor buddy he's never hunting for goats again haha. And make sure you don't forget your sleeping bag, I suspect that might be the real reason my partner doesn't want to hunt goats anymore. But it was cold and I needed something to spoon.
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillerbillyvan View Post
    ... i discovered my partner never had any intention of actually leaving the atv so goat hunting for me was mostly doomed from the get go
    That would chap my balls. 5 days goat hunting on ATV... sounds like 0 days of research on his part. I feel bad for you buds.

I'm heading out to 3-33C over the long weekend to scout, if anyone is interested in going for a hike just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by the hopper View Post
    you have to hike in that zone. Lots of goats. And there's at least one gigantic billy left after last season I couldn't get him, I got his cousin.
    I think we hiked 25000' vertical in 4 days over 30kms.
    Just look on google earth pick a mountain and go up. Glass from a ridge and be prepared to drop 4-7000' and go back up again once you spot your billy. Easy!�� Maybe you'll get lucky and spot one on your own ridge, that was my hope but it wasn't meant to be. Lots of g bear sign and limited water up high on the ridges the south side of our glassing ridge was dry and the north was cliffs straight down 1000' to crevasses on glaciers.
    Beautiful though. Make sure your partner is up for it my poor buddy he's never hunting for goats again haha. And make sure you don't forget your sleeping bag, I suspect that might be the real reason my partner doesn't want to hunt goats anymore. But it was cold and I needed something to spoon.
    Hahahaha nice.