Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in boots

Re: Breaking in boots

I have done this all my life with skates and it might work for you. Put them in the tub and fill the boots with the hottest water from the tap and let sit for 15 minutes or so. Empty the boots, put them on tight and walk around for 30 minutes. Let dry the next day and repeat three times. good luck.

Just to be clear, that's hockey skates!

so are meindl's a lot better than danners or is it a preference thing?

Well, you are in a tough spot. I am a self confessed gear nut, and have been "booting" around the bush all my life. I don't have the extensive experience that some of these members have, but I will say this. Soaking your boots is unlikely going to fix a sizing problem. Maybe a few tight spots, but not.5-1.0 a shoe size. Danner are good boots, but made off shore. Meindls are German made and up there with the best of the best (Viberg, Esatto, and others). The really great part is that A.J. Brooks in Vancouver has been selling them for decades, and giving a proper fitting. When you go in there with money to spend, make sure to plan for an hour long boot fitting session. They support hunters, and support the military. If I were you, I would try to sell the boots before you soak them. You will not get all your money out of it, but not a total loss. I would also go back to the store you bought them from and talk to the owner, Roger. Tell him what happened and give him a chance to make it right.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

One other thing, do a search on here for Meindl. That should keep you reading for a while.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

thanks for the info tarp man, that's what I'll do

Do you still have the reciept????

A lot of places will let you return them for "customer satisfaction"....

If they are arseholes, say that the wife bought them for you and she bought them too big...Worth a try....

My Meindl's ----No Breakin needed.......

$550 but on my 3rd fire season and 3 rd hunting season and they look brand new...My last pair lasted 10 years..Went with the high top Canada Pro..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Always wear wool socks when breaking in new boots - NEVER cotton, as they absorb sweat and promote wrinkles which cause rubbing.

I break in my mountaineering boots by wearing a liner sock (synthetic) underneath a wool sock. Also, duct-tape is your best friend! Stick a piece of duct-tape onto your foot (directly onto skin) where you are most likely to get blisters (back of heel, etc.) Works like magic...at least the boots will be rubbing the tape and not your skin...

550 eh?

I guess it's still a better deal than the 200$ pair I bought I can't even use one season...

Maybe I'll try to get another pair of pronghorns in my size..

I don't have the receipt and I don't want to go to hub and have them tell me to piss off for that and the fact the boots have been snowsealed, and hiked in for a few painful months, so I'm gonna try the stand in a creek with 2 pairs of wool socks and hike em dry with moleskin on my heels, and see if that works. If it doesn't, I'm gonna buy another pair of boots that fit...maybe get another job to afford the meindls