Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking in boots

Breaking in boots

I have some danner pronghorns that I bought earlier this year for this season, and have put about 30km in the mountains on them, but the heels on em are still stiff as hell and now that I'm trying to get ready for my hunts I'm all blistered up.

They are size 10, I am a size 9.5...the guy at hub sports said it's good to go a half size bigger for extra socks, etc.

Right now I'm wearing moleskin, then hiking liner socks with merino wool socks on top of that. I added a dr.sholls memory foam footbed too but that hasn't helped...

Hiking in them hasn't softened them up, what should I do?

Do I just walk into a creek and hike them dry?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Breaking in boots

Hmmmm that sucks. I always wear one pair of socks and fit all my foot wear that way. Sounds to me like they may be a little big which causes your foot to lift.

I was thinking of getting this same boot as it was my understanding that they required little break in time.

How does the boot feel with only one pair of socks? Are your feet prone to blisters? (My wife is chronic for blisters on her heels)

I also wonder if perhaps your heel is too high off the sole of the boot which would cause your heel to contact the back of the boot prematurely.

I guess if you are gonna get your boots real wet, do it before you go and dry them slowly followed by a good waterproof treatment to keep the leather soft.

Good luck!
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Bow Walker Guest

Sell 'em! Then go get a pair that fits you. When you're trying boots on, wear the socks that you'll be hiking in. That way the boots will fit you proper. Half size bigger? What bullshit. Tell the salesperson that they better get their head outta their ass!

Boots can make or break a hunt don't screw around with a boot that don't fit wright. I would go buy a new set because if you are not going to be comfortable you will not want to hike as far as you may need to. Don't listen to a sales man listen your feet next time.

yeah i think they are to big & there is to much movement. I just bought a new pair of AKU montana hikers. they fit like a glove to my foot. I went for a hike for the first time in them & no blisters.

+1 they're probably too big.

I'm a size 9.5-10, but my Meindl's are 8.5 and fits like a dream. Those salespersons down at the Meindl store know what they're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    +1 they're probably too big.

I'm a size 9.5-10, but my Meindl's are 8.5 and fits like a dream. Those salespersons down at the Meindl store know what they're talking about.
    The Meindl's at AJ brooks are all in UK sizes, so an 8.5 is really a 9.5 in north american sizing.

Boots a size too big are fine-if you're standing around on a frozen lake, looking down the hole waiting for a fish to bite. Boots too big for hiking in will cause heel slip, and...blisters.
    Twist and pull.

Like guys have said, wear the socks you will be hiking in - one pair. Boots will stretch a bit and allow you to wear another thin pair of socks in cooler weather.

That salesperson needs a smack upside the head. Every shoe/boot manufacturer sizes and fits slightly different. Keep trying boots until you find the pair that fit. When you get a good fit, you'll know.

Good luck.

I can not believe a salesman at a outdoor store would sell you a boot .5 to 1 size too big. Foot slippage will cause blisters insatantly. Your boots must be tight. I stop and tie my boots several times a day in the mountains. The second I feel my foot slip and stop, check for wrinkles in the socks (cause blisters even faster) and then re-tie my boots. Once your feet sweat and breath out words the boots can soften a bit causing them to need to be re-tightened after initial tie up.

Always were the exact socks you plan on hiking in. I wear a light liner pair then a good merino or smart wool hiking sock over top. I take these to the store when trying on boots. Almost every hiker or salesman with any experience will recommend two layers of socs for extended hiking. Any slippage happens between the socks not on the boot and your foot. Also the liners dry easy and are light so I change out my liners a few times a day to keep my feet dry.

Bad feet will end your mountain hunt. I have seen guys with knee braces, thrown hips, thrown back and they are still hiking. One bad blister and you turn back or hold up for a few days just so you can get back.

The only thing you need to take care of more than your feet is your exhaust pipe. The the exit stops working, everything stops working.