Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boil Stove

Jet Boil Stove

I am ordering a jet boil stove and am looking for comments. I talked to a few guides this fall and they all use it for their sheep hunts. They said it boils water faster than any stove and uses way less fuel. Claim it burns at least half the fuel. Also talked to a bush pilot and he swears by it as well.

Is it as good as they claim? How much fuel do you pack for 2 people for 7 day hunt?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jet Boil Stove

Every backpacking forum that I have read gives it rave reviews. The one knock that I have is that it only uses Jetboil fuel. Those cannisters can be hard to find. When you go to buy them, stock up. I have not personally used one, (I use a Primus), but have spoken with people who converted to them and use 1/3 to 1/2 of the fuel, depending on the weather and air temperature.

Are you going with the PCS (personal size) or the larger GCS?

CAVEAT: Before you get out the tar and feathers, here is just an example. No one is advocating buying from them, just an FYI. There are lots of places to get them.

MSR also has a system like this which seems great for larger groups with the bigger pot.
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1220489649387

Primus' version
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1220489692145

Primus tank top
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1220489727946
    Last edited by Tarp Man; 09-03-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Stove info
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

I just went their website again and it recommends you use their fuel for best efficiency. Looks to me like the run regular fuel by the looks of the threads on the fuel canister.

Can anyone else verify this?

Just checked their site again under FAQ and he it is

"
    Can I use Jetboil with other fuel canisters?

Jetboil is compatible with valves made to the EN417 specification, a standard adopted by manufacturers throughout the world. Please note that the product has not been tested with every different type of fuel canister, and we cannot claim safe operation with any canister other than our Jetpower brand of fuel."

I just talked to a guy at Corlanes in Dawson about this stove yesterday. He took it out on a backpack trip last week and was really impressed with it. So far, he has boiled 12 litres of water on one canister. He was also in high elevation with it. The 1 he used boils 2 cups at a time, which is perfect for the mountain house meals. He figured 2 minutes or less per boil. Sounds really good to me and is making me think about getting one.

Before you order one,check out your closest Coast Mtn Sports.
    The store in Kamloops had two in stock.The sales girl said the company was bringing the Jetboil into more of the stores.RB

hmmm TRIED jetboil......and went with MSR XGK EXPEDITION very small, extremely well built..and uses every fuel..whitegas,jet fuel, DIESEL...pretty much any fuel source found ANYWHERE..and was just as fast to boil a litre of water.. I think MSR XGK was even slightly faster and yes I timed both..for groups of 2 or 3 XGK shines..and you can use any pot unlike the jet boil..xgk also has a aluminum windscreen included AND a aluminum sheet for a lid..xgk looked much better built..

MSR comes with 2 jets for different fuels..small tuneup kit...

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 09-04-2008 at 08:32 AM.

As soon as I can justify buying another stove it will be a Jetboil.

With my Brunton Raptor cannistor stove, we used less than 450gm of fuel for 12 days of boiling 4 cups of water/per day for two people last year and the year before. That was with a home-made windscreen.

ONe other advantage to changin over to the Mtn House Propacks is that they only require 1 1/2 cups of water each...instead of 2 cups.

I would imagine the Jetboil should be a "chunk" more efficient than that.

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 09-04-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

20 oz fuel will boil 30 litres of water...pretty good...XGK...

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 09-04-2008 at 10:00 AM.

I have 4 stoves right now. An MSR that does duel fuel, one Brunton and One Primus. All work all right but wind is the real challenge to keep your fuel consumption down. The jetboil is a tad bigger than my others but I should save in the fuel by talking to most. I talked to jetboil and they said all standard fule cannisters will work but of course they say theirs are more efficient. I orderd one delivered to my dor for $80. If is does not work as good as my others then no big deal but I think it will be the one in my pack this fall.