I was just about to write the same thing before I read this post. I do the exact same thing...remove the breast in the field. The rest really isn't worth all the extra work in my opinion.

As for cooking I like to roast the breast with onions and BBQ sauce. I've also cut it into small strips and breaded it then toss it into some oil in the frying pan which turns out pretty nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBucks
When the shooting is good and we are getting a lot of birds, We usually just strip the breasts out of the Canadas. This is a simple way to avoid the mess of cleaning, and plucking, and you get the meat that counts anyways.

Just lay the bird down on a table, or counter, and tear through the skin covering the breasts. Sometimes a knife will help start the tearing process. You need to rip back the skin and feathers enough to expose both the breasts, almost from the throat, to the drumsticks. Then with a sharp knife, like you would use for filleting a fish, run the blade down the side of the centre breast bone, till you hit the ribs. Then cut down along the bottom of the breast, where it looks like a triangle. Peel the breast back as you cut the meat away from the ribs, pulling the breast up, till you meet the point almost where the wings join the body. Then cut through this last bit of meat, and pull the breast out. Do the same on the other side. A good size bird will yield about 3-5 lbs of nice lean dark meat.

I find that Canada goose meat is more like beef than fowl. You can cut up the breasts, into stew size pieces, and make a great stew, just as you would moose, or beef. You can also grind the meat up in a grinder, and make great mince for chili's or speghetti sauces. Try the mince for hamburgers too, but grind the meat with some bacon added, or it will be to lean to shape into patties that will stay togeather. You can also roast the breasts, but lay some bacon across the top, or a piece of beef fat, to prevent it from drying out. The beef fat also adds great flavour. :P

I hope your birds turned out ok!