Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do I have to clean my geese?????

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

When do I have to clean my geese?????

My friend has told me that they are ok hanging with guts in but I want a second opinion before they are ruined. They are in my workshop (which is plenty chilly) in my house. I plan on skinning them as opposed to plucking.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

2. Site Sponsor

bone-collector Guest

?

probably should have been done asap when you got home Mike, I would think, not sure if bone sour can set in birds or not ,

Uh Oh! 8O Guess I know what I am doing after lunch today./

BCHunter Guest
    I leave mine hanging for a day or two. One of the old timers says he's hung his birds for days before. I don't know about days but 24hrs is about it for me...

I try and clean the guts out as soon as I get home or the next morning depending on how tired I am. If the bird is shot in the gut and the juices are allowed to mingle it's going to spoil the tast of your bird. If you're going to breast out the bird then do it the same night as it only takes 5 minutes and is easier to take the skin off when it's still warm.

I hope that helps.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Thanks for the info, all.

Re: When do I have to clean my geese?????

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix
    My friend has told me that they are ok hanging with guts in but I want a second opinion before they are ruined. They are in my workshop (which is plenty chilly) in my house. I plan on skinning them as opposed to plucking.
    "Goose and Duck Hunters".

It's just like doing the domestic birds and animals that you raise. (chickens, ducks, pheasants, geese, rabbits, etc..) Cleaning, cooling and cleanliness of your birds or animals means everything.
    "If you can't say anything intelligent, then don't say anything at all, for you'll only be showing us how stupid you really are." τΏτ

Man, i sure hope they are tasty still 8O ....I'm getting a little worried.

It's been a heck of a long time but I used to clean mine in the field by the vehicle. My dad and uncles used to bring the ducks home before cleaning. Fred

When the shooting is good and we are getting a lot of birds, We usually just strip the breasts out of the Canadas. This is a simple way to avoid the mess of cleaning, and plucking, and you get the meat that counts anyways.

Just lay the bird down on a table, or counter, and tear through the skin covering the breasts. Sometimes a knife will help start the tearing process. You need to rip back the skin and feathers enough to expose both the breasts, almost from the throat, to the drumsticks. Then with a sharp knife, like you would use for filleting a fish, run the blade down the side of the centre breast bone, till you hit the ribs. Then cut down along the bottom of the breast, where it looks like a triangle. Peel the breast back as you cut the meat away from the ribs, pulling the breast up, till you meet the point almost where the wings join the body. Then cut through this last bit of meat, and pull the breast out. Do the same on the other side. A good size bird will yield about 3-5 lbs of nice lean dark meat.

I find that Canada goose meat is more like beef than fowl. You can cut up the breasts, into stew size pieces, and make a great stew, just as you would moose, or beef. You can also grind the meat up in a grinder, and make great mince for chili's or speghetti sauces. Try the mince for hamburgers too, but grind the meat with some bacon added, or it will be to lean to shape into patties that will stay togeather. You can also roast the breasts, but lay some bacon across the top, or a piece of beef fat, to prevent it from drying out. The beef fat also adds great flavour. :P

I hope your birds turned out ok!
    Theres no place like home! Unless of course you are out hunting!!