Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk GPS 's

Re: Lets talk GPS 's

I just looked at a comparison between the free google earth and the $20 version and it has the real time option built in. Im assuming the lap top could be at home and a loved one could see where you were. Or have it hooked up the the laptop in the truck and see it in real time as well. I think im going to e-mail google to see what the scope is.

Quote Originally Posted by reach View Post
    So now all we need is a way to show your position in real time. I wonder if you could rig up some sort of script that periodically runs GPSBabel or something to get new stuff (track points, waypoints) from the GPS, creates a .kml file, and sends it to GE to open...
    Looks like GPSBabel knows how to do this "out of the box". You can run it with the -T switch and it will auto-refresh a .kml file. Then you can use "add network link" in Google Earth to update the view. I guess I know what I'll be messing around with next time I go out in the truck...

Check out a program called RoboGeo. If you syncronize the time in your digital camera same as your GPS, you can transfer photos into google earth and they are posted at the coordinates they were taken (based on the time stamps). It is very cool.

If someone on the forum had the time & energy, forum members could take a fix and photo of all the gates blocking access here on VI. They could be transferred to google earth and other maps and be available to forum members. It would be interesting to see how many gates are out there, but it would take a bit of effort and team work from the members here.
    - Montani semper liberi

Have Boots Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by hillman View Post
    Check out a program called RoboGeo. If you syncronize the time in your digital camera same as your GPS, you can transfer photos into google earth and they are posted at the coordinates they were taken (based on the time stamps). It is very cool.

If someone on the forum had the time & energy, forum members could take a fix and photo of all the gates blocking access here on VI. They could be transferred to google earth and other maps and be available to forum members. It would be interesting to see how many gates are out there, but it would take a bit of effort and team work from the members here.
    now THAT would be cool. I'd be down with that.
    Backroad Access Closures - Send an Email NOW!
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10125

that would be cool.
    i have a crapload of tracklogs saved on my comp from cruising all around the cr area here. could make my on map . id call it the samurai/quad... used to be a backroad mapbook...lol