Thread: wall tent or smoke house

wall tent or smoke house

---------------
    Last edited by 7mm; 01-30-2017 at 09:10 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wall tent or smoke house

make sure the chimney pipe goes up above the top of the tent to avoid down draft and when you start a fire make sure to create a good draft in the stove.

X2

people seem to forget to have a long enough stack so the riseing column creates a vacume . nearly all the woodstoves that i see that fill tents do so because of to short a smoke stack.

Elbows=$hitty draw
    Use to have them & have since gone with a straight pipe. Just moved the asbestos ring to the ceiling & had the gable hole sewn up.

I prefer a straight smoke stack as well ! No hassles with havng to support the piping etc !

But as you have one that exits the side of the tent and arent probably wanting to cut a new hole into the roof , you can make sure you dont get smoked out by making sure you have enough draw from your chimney ! The longer your exhaust piping Ie the higher it is above the stove the better your stove will draw the exhaust out and draw fresh air in , thereby eliminating your problem !

Rule of thumb , make sure your exhaust is 1 ft higher then your tent ridge line !

Bruce

Could be a few things that are causing you some grief. You said that you had a 5" stove pipe on your stove? Don't they have a 6" flue opening? Reason why I ask is that if you have a reducer installed at the collar of the stove it could be causing enough of a restriction there to produce a slight positive pressure within the stove to cause the excessive smoking. This would be especially apparent on start up or with a low smokey "cool" fire. Also, as stated by others, your smoke stake could be to short resulting in a poor draft. Also if you don't have your suppy air vent open enough you could be experiencing a backdraft condition in where air is being sucked back down your stove pipe again creating a positive pressure differential within the firebox resulting in excessive smoking within the living area. Hope this helps.

I talked to the guy who owns Kettle Valley stoves and he said every elbow decreases the draw by 20%, so if you have two elbows, that is a 40% hit right off the bat. We use a straight stovepipe through the roof, never had draw problems with a 5" pipe on an old airtight stove (and we use a 6-5" reducer because the hole in the tent is only 5").

Thanks for all your information. I will try to increase the length of the sove pipe and hopefully that will work so once again thanks
    regards 7mm

Not sure if this is applicable to wood stoves, too, but in Alberta when it was very cold out and I was lighting my living room fire, it seemed that the cold air would sit in the chimney and "damp" any attempt of the smoke to escape via the usual route. A couple of times I had a waft of smoke come back into the living room. So I began the habit of "priming" the chimney by burning a few sheets of newspaper first to force hot air up and so get a better draw when making the fire. I never had a problem after I started doing that. Seems to me it would likely work for a wood stove.

Cheers!

A-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQE9N0OCnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA&feature=fvst