Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight backpacking gear? (& Pics)

Re: Ultralight backpacking gear? (& Pics)

I use the Miox for my water: Light and compact.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/miox.asp

I also have the whisperlite international as well but I had a good look at the MSR Reactor and JetBoil and either would be a good choice if lightweight is in mind.

"The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post

Brambles - How goes your alpine scouting? Any good velvet pics??? I haven't been up top for prime time yet...

I'm also looking at water filters. In the past, I've just used iodine... (I've travelled a ton and have had giardia, dissentery and cryptosporidium before, and I used to think I had a tape worm living in my gut. I'm getting too old for that sh!t. Any suggestions?

Scouting is going alright, wish I had more time to be out but work is keeping me busy. Haven't seen anything big enough to make me want to end my season early.

There are a few pics of velvet that I"ve posted but I usually don't take photo's of them unless they are something worth watching. Lots of 2's and 3's and small 3x4's and 4x4's but only 2 bucks worth keeping an eye on. Still looking for the big Non-typical that I dream about.

I use the MSR sweetwater pump, I think it only weighs 10 or 11 ounces, makes dirty water clean and takes out the nasties.

I have that same tent, colour and everything. Mine is getting long in the tooth though but I'll get another season out of it.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Is that the Hennessy Hammock? If so, what model do you use?

I was thinking about getting one of those. How is it in heavy rain? I heard one review that said the rain ran down the cord for the fly and dripped inside the hammock. I figured I could tie the cord around a small stick to give the rain a place to drip off if nessisary.

Here is a video from my alpine trip.
    Note: I do not know how to edit videos . The stove is in the first 30 seconds.
    It is a Snow Peaks Giga Power. I really like it .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lilnwvKkh1w
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

JetBoil stove all the way if you're eating freeze drieds, you'd be hardpressed to find something quicker and easier.

Carl

Thx. boys!

Jesse - yeah, had another rug rat and priorities have changed a bit... gettin' the itch pretty bad - no kwellada, just antlers cure this one! It's time for you young bucks to show us how it's done... get that WD on that trigger.

BC - that looks like THE water system. What pack do you use?

PMJ - thanks for the vid - hadn't watched paint dry for a while... Any antler footage???

Yeah, that tent has seen some serious miles too - been up to 22,000 ft - it is BOMBER!! That is the Hennesy Expedition - haven't had it in a downpour, but I'm sure a know would solve the drip problem in the line... http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Any suggestions for a BIG hunting expedition pack - mine's about 15 yrs. old? What do you use to pack out a deboned animal?

Steep -

I use a Barney pack. (Hunter model) Its about as bomb proof as it gets.

I use it for sheep hunting.....and yes I have used it to pack whole elk quarters in the bag as well with straps to secure the load etc. No problem for deboned game either. Very comfortable.

Ask SSS what he thinks !!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

What do you do to make th Miox device work? How fast is it?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w

I just built that one today. Havn't tried it out yet. Apparently really light and strong. Hard to find those bottles up here though. I was down in the states and picked up a 6 pack. Took about 30 minutes to make. Will post results once I have er lighted and boiling.