Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pheasants

pheasants

I am new to this site so hello. Just a quick note to all the serious upland bird hunters out there.
    Got back from N.Dakota yesterday and was running/training pointers their and had no trouble putting up 200 plus wild pheasants in a morning with the dogs. Most of them in CRP lands and private grain fields. However there is public hunting lands there called PLOTS and good success can be had there also. For those that are serious about pheasants spend some money on gas and see for your self.
    I lived in the Kamloops/Clinton/Revelstoke area in the Great province B.C. and did serious bird hunting in B.C. for years (15) and then moved back to Alberta 15 years ago because of the lack of good bird hunting in BC. I have hunted in the past for Pheasants in the Vernon area and south to the US border, Chukars around Kamloops lake and Ascroft and yes around the Frazer river south of the Gang Ranch as well as Quail around Penticton. There was a few good days in 15 years but most were out and out poor.

For those inclined the birds in AB. look good again but for my money Montana/N.Dakota can't be beat with its BML/PLOTS program for public hunting and that is where I have been going for now almost 10 years. If the big guy on the left from Victoria can hit a few birds anyone can.......puphood1
    Last edited by puphood1; 08-18-2008 at 07:21 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: pheasants

North Dakota, a pheasant hunters heaven. Been there a few times and always had a great time hunting these birds.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

What is required to hunt birds in the U.S.

You need a lic. Montana $125 or N.Dakota about the same. To bring in your guns you have to apply to the Fed's. and get a approved ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3d). Get it from the ATF web site and Fax it to them takes 6 weeks cost is 0. Have mine in my hand now and always apply early as in 2 weeks I am running after Sage Hens in Montana. It sounds more complicated than it is and is worth the effort....puphood1

Puphood, those are some impressive handsfull of birds !! What is the daily and overall possesion limit ?

just getting in to hunting and I've been told there is lots of great land to hunt where the pheasant are in healthy number I've been told of some great land to try for them...going to go looking later this month. The Idea of hunting in the US seem like something I'd like to try but I can't justify paying that kind of money in gas just to bag a few birds. In the US is there a bag limit on pheasant?
    Who Needs A Gun Ship When You Have A Pointy Stick.
    2/3 Of The Earth Is Water. Get A Boat.

South Paw Shooter and PROUD OF IT!
    South Paws of The World Unite For A Better Selections of GUNS.

Montana 3 daily and 9 possesion and North Dakota 3 daily and 12 possesion. If you are trying to justify the gas money for pounds of meat you have the wrong idea of what bird hunting is about. However for those that it is important to take a trailer full of birds home and money is not a problem there are private ranches out there that allow unlimited amounts of birds as they are released birds which is not the same experiance at all. Find a attached pic of a hunt a couple of years ago in the snow in central Montana (which can make for the best pheasant hunting) with enough birds to make the three of us forget the cold....puphood1
    Last edited by puphood1; 08-18-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Don't know what I did wrong in the last post so here we go again here are the cold boys....puphood1
    Last edited by puphood1; 08-18-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Sorry about this but my pics keep getting deleted try again here goes again....puphood1
    Last edited by puphood1; 08-21-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
    Montana 3 daily and 9 possesion and North Dakota 3 daily and 12 possesion. If you are trying to justify the gas money for pounds of meat you have the wrong idea of what bird hunting is about. However for those that it is important to take a trailer full of birds home and money is not a problem there are private ranches out there that allow unlimited amounts of birds as they are released birds which is not the same experiance at all. Find a attached pic of a hunt a couple of years ago in the snow in central Montana (which can make for the best pheasant hunting) with enough birds to make the three of us forget the cold....puphood1
    I'm getting in to hunting so I can have a meat that isn't full of chemicals and steroids. I can't eat commercial turkey for just that reason and have trouble when I eat cow and chicken. But I don't have the finances that allow me to spend $500-$1000 for 9 or 12 birds no matter how you put it. Some hunt for fun and don't mind spending that much for a hunt. I got in to shooting and hunting for healthy and real meat.

But I must say those are some nice looking birds.
    Who Needs A Gun Ship When You Have A Pointy Stick.
    2/3 Of The Earth Is Water. Get A Boat.

South Paw Shooter and PROUD OF IT!
    South Paws of The World Unite For A Better Selections of GUNS.