Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 and 2007 Yamaha Grizzly owners - please read

Re: 2006 and 2007 Yamaha Grizzly owners - please read

Haha don't even get me started on my broken down Polaris stories

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

Thanx for the heads up...

If its got ( * )( * ) or wheels, its bound to give you trouble sometime...
    Ok having said that , I am glad to hear that no deaths reported on members of this board, but sounds like near death experieinces only.
    As mentioned take the time to go over yor machine , what ever brand you are loyal to as it would certainly suck to ahve this happen to you and while trapped underneath (possibly ) have one of thos big wet noses come over and see if your alright !!!
    I ride a Harley ( not bragging ) and I post on a couple of HD sites and you would be amazed at the number of people who claim that it is a manufature defect for every little thing that goes wrong with the bike. For the most part it is lack of maint. or they dont understand ,echanical machines and the responsibility of ownership of the vehicle.
    So, please all you qaud riders out and about, take a couple of minutes a weel to inspect your ride.
    Ride Safe and Shoot Straight !
    Rob

We all tend to think that what we chose to buy is better than what someone else chose to buy, personally I like Yamaha and have had no problems with my 07 Grizzlies (nothing that wasn't my own fault anyways!). Most big name quads on the market are decent machines with good points and not so good points. The reality is quads are used HARD in the field and are prone to extraordinary wear and tear. I think most hunters are very hard on their quads especially when you have to drag a 1000 pound moose out of a cut or plow through dense brush to get your game out. Mud and water are particularily infamous for slowly wearing out parts like bearings or pitting axles and drive shafts. I agree with FLHTCUI that routine maintenance and inspection is the key to a safe quad or any vehicle for that matter. After market parts are another good way to beef up your quad. I think the skid plates on my Grizzlies suck, I've already lost one a-arm cover and peeled the front and rear plates back like a banana , I'll be replacing them with aluminum ones soon. Just my 2 cents worth.
    "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

There are three things in life that i love
    1. Hunting
    2. eating
    3. quading

I bought my grizz 700 the first week they came out in 2006. I have over 5500 HARD kms on my bike (i cant believe im not dead). Ive ran 27inch XTR's and 14inch rims from new and i pound on this bike every weekend. Ive watch the grizzly 700's on numerous message boards from day one. I know this machine better than 90% of people that have them. They do have problems ( just like every other quad...............less than most how ever) Ive bent 3 A-arms, broke a front axle and im surprised thats it. All my damage has been do to driver error and not factory defects. This is the first time ive heard of an axle breaking at the hub on a grizz 700, on any quad for that matter. The drive axle has three components.....2 CV's ( look like mini toyota birfields) and a axle between the two. The stub shaft is connected to the CV which the you bolt the hub to. The stub shaft is what broke i'm guessing which is really odd seeing how its 2-3 time larger than the axle shaft.............The CV bell and the axle shaft are meant to be the week link if to much force is applied . There must be a factory defect in the stub shaft on this particular CV stub shaft. Or he took the hub off and didnt torque the nut down proper the the nut backed off which would have put to much pressure on the stub shaft (highly unlikely tho)

I did a search and this is the only case i could find with this problem. Boycotting a company because of this freak accident doent really make sense to me. If Yamaha sold 200,000 grizzly 700's in the last 2 years thats 799,999 stub shafts that didnt break (using that as an example).

I wish your friend a speedy recovery and yamaha goes good on his case.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
    There are three things in life that i love
    1. Hunting
    2. eating
    3. quading

I bought my grizz 700 the first week they came out in 2006. I have over 5500 HARD kms on my bike (i cant believe im not dead). Ive ran 27inch XTR's and 14inch rims from new and i pound on this bike every weekend. Ive watch the grizzly 700's on numerous message boards from day one. I know this machine better than 90% of people that have them. They do have problems ( just like every other quad...............less than most how ever) Ive bent 3 A-arms, broke a front axle and im surprised thats it. All my damage has been do to driver error and not factory defects. This is the first time ive heard of an axle breaking at the hub on a grizz 700, on any quad for that matter. The drive axle has three components.....2 CV's ( look like mini toyota birfields) and a axle between the two. The stub shaft is connected to the CV which the you bolt the hub to. The stub shaft is what broke i'm guessing which is really odd seeing how its 2-3 time larger than the axle shaft.............The CV bell and the axle shaft are meant to be the week link if to much force is applied . There must be a factory defect in the stub shaft on this particular CV stub shaft. Or he took the hub off and didnt torque the nut down proper the the nut backed off which would have put to much pressure on the stub shaft (highly unlikely tho)

I did a search and this is the only case i could find with this problem. Boycotting a company because of this freak accident doent really make sense to me. If Yamaha sold 200,000 grizzly 700's in the last 2 years thats 799,999 stub shafts that didnt break (using that as an example).

I wish your friend a speedy recovery and yamaha goes good on his case.
    Thanks for posting exactly what I was thinking but was too lazy to type when I first read through this thread yesterday .
    The "Stick with Honda or Polaris) comment really made me laugh .... those are the only 2 brands I would never ever own, I would rather walk .
    Yamaha makes a damn fine machine .... the best imo, although Suzuki is right up there too .

Tell your friend to keep his Grizz, this was a one in a million breakage ... unfortunate for his sake, but these things happen I guess .

Quote Originally Posted by Slime green cat View Post
    Yamaha makes a damn fine machine .... the best imo, although Suzuki is right up there too .

I like my Suzuki Kingquad 750 AXi, I think it's better than the Griz!

All this talk about brands of quads ......

Anyone use the Can am Outlanders?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Yes Greg I TOWED one out this spring...that was pretty well toast..HOWEVER he did get his $$$ worth as it was his 4th trip.. with his fancy machine..

HONDA ...bullet proof tough...

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Yes Greg I TOWED one out this spring...that was pretty well toast..HOWEVER he did get his $$$ worth as it was his 4th trip.. with his fancy machine..

HONDA ...bullet proof tough...

Steven
    I've towed quite a few honda's in my day so far too while working......

hmmm
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir