Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope Opinions

Thumbs up Spotting Scope Opinions

I know there are alot of experienced hardcore optic guys out there so I should have no trouble getting great feedback from some veteren brains. if you had to pick a spotting scope today for elk, moose, and mulleys what kind & power would be the ONE. Price is not a problem, but if I can get the same QUALITY for a better price thats a no brainer.
    WHAT IS THE BEST OF THE BEST

Step up and drown me in opinins!!!
    its almost GAMES TIME

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotting Scope Opinions

Leica, Zeiss Swarovski...You are always going to get these names pop up when you talk about good optics.

Bushnell Elite, Leupold, Nikon are just down the line a bit.

Most use 15-45 and find them pretty good.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Kowa TSN-883 Prominar
    "Society will forever judge hunters by their compassion for the animals they hunt." Author, Jim Slinsky

A women never looks so good as when she comes in wet and dirty from hunting.

"BEST OF THE BEST "..

HMMM ..SWAROVSKI ATS 65 mm HIGH DEFINITION.. with a 20-60 x eyepiece...I DID like the 80 mm however it was just too big and heavy to pack

I tried the HD Leupold..still some design issues they need to deal with but good glass..

Zeiss also had exellent glass

I looked through em all and went with the Swaro ATS 65 MM in HIGH DEFINITION ( HD) and yes I could clearly see the diference in HD..
    and also got the seperate 20-60 power eyepiece..and the "nylon /cordura case"...

Hm that fulfills BOTH your caveats..no restriction on $$$$$ this setup should run ya $3,000 and optically it is THE BEST.

scope is $1839
    eyepiece is $539
    stay on case is $ 229
    add tax and etc ..chews through $3k pretty fast...but amazing clearity and color and the details it picks up even a KILOMETERS..

cheers

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 08-24-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RMG View Post
    Kowa TSN-883 Prominar
    I've been playing with a Kowa 773 Prominar, and it's wicked.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I just picked up a bushnell elite and so far am happy with it for the money I spent. Seems light and easy to pack. We went to the range yesterday and used it to shoot 300 yards quite effectively. I think a quality tripod is just as important as the scope. I've used both of my wifes tripods so far and they've come up short on smooth movement and shakeyness.

The Zeiss diascope 85 is rated the best scope you can buy by a few birding forum types. Too bulky for me so I settled for the Zeiss Diascope 65, doesn't hurt I found a deal on one either.

As SRUPP said.Swaro ATS HD 65
    "ETCOOMS"

As a lot of guy's have pointed out if you go with Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski you cant go wrong all are about the same quality. It just like asking which is better Chev, Ford or Dodge so it comes down to personal preferance. Decide what you are going to use it for mostly or a wide range of situations and that may help in the optics size and physical size for backpacking etc, and then go and look throught all of them and spend a bit of time as each one will fit you eyes a little differant and the only way you will know is to spend a few minutes looking throught them as when you get into the field hunting you can be staring through them for many hours and the last thing you want is for them not to be comfortable for your eyes. Spend more time trying them out then you would buying a truck. M2C

I'd have to believe the Swaro mentioned above is the best set-up available.

For a more "economical" approach (at 1G), the USO spotting scope has also generated some rave reviews:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...t=uso+spotting
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)