Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The HBC Fall Big Game Contest

The HBC Fall Big Game Contest

Our new contest!!

Instead of just a deer contest, this year HBC is putting on a BIG GAME contest!!

Here are the rules:

All entries must be BC wildlife.
    All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on the Contest thread.
    All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Sept 10/2008. PLEASE GET YOUR WIFE/HUSBAND/SON/DAUGHTER SIGNED UP NOW. You CANNOT enter their animals for them!
    All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. (No, we don't need GPS co-ordinates, just let us know what sort of terrain you were hunting, and how you hunted it, etc- This adds to the fun, and makes the contest more interesting)
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations

Categories:

#1 Big Game Animal category. 2 winners. The “entry fee” is an animal. You may enter as many times as you like. One animal= one ballot.

2 winners, to be drawn randomly.

Prizes:

Premier HBC Sponsor Omineca Source for Sports has generously donated several prizes for the contest:

Outdoor Edge "Outpak" field kit - Includes the Kodi-Skinner/ Caper combo, Axe-It, Griz-Saw, Steel Stick, Boning/Fillet knife, Cerama-Steel Sharpener, Pen, Tape Measure, Flagging Tape, Zip-Ties and Game Cleaning Gloves. All these tools store in a compact Cordura roll-pack organizer. Individual sheaths are included for the Kodi Combo, Griz-Saw and Axe-It to carry these items separately.

Hunter Specialties Elk 3 call diaphram kit

E.L.K. Deluxe Cow Talk elk call

Two Lohman wrist attach deer grunt tubes

#2 Bow category. Same rules as above, except only open to animals killed with a bow. ( A person that hunts with a bow AND rifle can still enter the contests, but must specify which animal is to be entered in which category. . (not limited to BOW ONLY seasons)

1 winner, to be drawn randomly

Prize:

Generously donated by BOWZONE MIKEY

http://www.rinehart3d.com/

http://www.rinehart3d.com/products/#i64

#3 Youth Contest

Limited to youth 17 and under.

Big Game Animal category. 2 winners. The “entry fee” is an animal. You may enter as many times as you like. One animal= one ballot.

We will have as many winners for this category as I get prizes.

Prize #1 WILD IMAGES has donated a $300 gift certificate towards a shoulder mount for a youth winner.

Prize # 2 FRENCHBAR has donated a diamond pocket knife sharpener

Thanks, very generous!

#4 BIG GAME

Biggest animal, scored by a COMPETENT scorer. IF you want to enter this contest, we need to see proof of score. To enter, post your animal in the regular contest and include a score. A COMPETENT scorer will be defined as a person that "knows enough and has scored enough" They can be official scorers, credible taxidermists, or credible members of HBC. A number of HBC members qualify, so if you are in their area, hopefully they can help you out. In the interest of expediency, GREEN scores are fine. if there is a dispute, the entrants need to go to an official scorer, or a scorer that is agreed by me.

The winner will be based in percentage of the BC record book. So if you get a moose that is 65% of the book a blacktail with 70% of the BC book will beat you, regardless if your moose has a larger score.

1 winner, largest animal by %

Prize:

TBA

COntest ends Dec 31/2008

Since this is a CONTEST thread, please keep comments/congrats to a minimum; : "Wow, Gatehouse, nice 2 point" is an example of an acceptable post..Eventually, such posts will get deleted in the interest of expediency. If you wish to discuss the animals, start other threads. No offence is meant, just it's hard to plow through pages of "nice buck" comments when I try to find entrants etc.

Questions will be answered on this thread.

******Please Note******

I haven't had final notice of any prizes as of yet. When I do I can restructure the contests slightly, to reflect what we have to work with. If I get more prizes donated, I can add more winners.

Good luck to all!!
    Last edited by Gateholio; 09-15-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The HBC Fall Big Game Contest

Quote Originally Posted by StringFling View Post
    Questions:

To be scored after 60 day drying period or just green scored?
    In the interest of expediency, GREEN scores are fine.

B&C for rifles and P&Y for bows for percentage of score?

The winner will be based in percentage of the BC record book

That is for the "big animal" contest. The other contests are random draws.

No LEH?? Did some one not get any draws?
    We never allowed LEH entries in the annual deer contest, in an effort to keep the playing field level for all participants. However, some animals like grizzly and bison are only available via LEH, so we may have to change that rule to include those species. Gotta think about including/excluding LEH for a bit!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    If my 12 year old takes a deer on my tag does he get entered in the youth category or does it stay on my tag in the big game category?
    If it's a 12 year old, it goes in the youth category.

We did a quick consultation and decided to remove the No LEH rule. Since there are no limits to the amount of entries you can make-unlike the deer contest- we don't need the rule anymore.

Is there a prize for being first?
    [/quote]

Here's my entry, third day of an 8 day hunt arouind Chetwynd, 5:45 AM found this bull, my first moose.

"Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

here's my first this year archery hunt blactail.
    yep that's what I said

Here's Treeson's entry, same hunt as me. He harvested this bull on the first morning of our hunt at 6:15. He really put the pressure on the rest of us to get our moose!

"Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

Premier HBC Sponsor Omineca Source for Sports has generously donated several prizes for the contest:

Outdoor Edge "Outpak" field kit - Includes the Kodi-Skinner/ Caper combo, Axe-It, Griz-Saw, Steel Stick, Boning/Fillet knife, Cerama-Steel Sharpener, Pen, Tape Measure, Flagging Tape, Zip-Ties and Game Cleaning Gloves. All these tools store in a compact Cordura roll-pack organizer. Individual sheaths are included for the Kodi Combo, Griz-Saw and Axe-It to carry these items separately.

Hunter Specialties Elk 3 call diaphram kit

E.L.K. Deluxe Cow Talk elk call

Two Lohman wrist attach deer grunt tubes

I'll figure out where to put them when we get more prize donations. Pics should be up next week.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 08-30-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Excellent, thanks!!