Thread: Internal vs External Frame Packs

Internal vs External Frame Packs

My older {15yrs} peak 1 ext frame pack is getting tired.I had the hip belt repadded here about 3 weeks ago as its too late to get and break in a new pack before my trip north in Sept.Basically all the foam in the hip belt and shoulder straps have had enough sweat and are breaking down.
    I can probably get away with repadding the foam,but next will be the bag as it shows many miles as well.I am 45YO and figure I can wear out one more pack.
    I am looking at a new pack for next season and I am a ext frame fan.That said the internals look comfortable with large loads.
    I have looked or heard of everything from the Tatonka Lastenkraxe,Jim Shockey's Yukon {Black Creek} and Cabelas Alaska frame with a Barneys pack setup to the Arcteryx bora 95,Eberlestock J107-104,Badlands 4500 and kifaru Longhunter.
    How do you attach antlers for packing out on an Arcteryx or Kifaru.I have found pics of guys setup on the Eberlestock pack for antlers,but I can't get my head around all the freight so far off your back if you use the pack duffel with the J104-107 packs.RB

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Internal vs External Frame Packs

doug,
    just bought a j-104 eberlestock, I'll bring it around you can check it out.

RB

I have a Camptrails external, Tatonka Lastenkraxe, and Eberlestock J107.

They all have their pro's and con's. The tatonka is a bulletproof workhorse and I love the way it stands on its own, it weighs the most of the three but is VERY comfortable and mine has personally seen 150 lbs loads for a few Very Steep miles and many miles of backpacking with 60-100 lb loads. Minor squeaks from fabric to frame friction after the 2nd year of use, it was quiet the first year, not too bad and definitly quieter than most packs. The fabric doesn't work well for sneaking through dense bush.

Camptrails is the lightest of the three, creaks and groans all over it. Hauled 118 lbs for 8kms. But its the ol reliable Loaner pack frame. Fabric doesn't work well for sneaking through dense bush

The Eberlestock is the cadillac, haven't had big loads on it yet but that will come this year, It shouldn't be too bad tying meat, gear or horns to the outside, you can get pretty creative with this pack. The weight looks far back but doesnt' feel like its pulling you back, mainly because the pack sits really close to you to start with. The gun scabbard is great and a selling feature for lots of guys. Not a lightweight pack but it is very versitile and that is worth the couple pounds extra that it weighs.
    Its whisper quiet and will work well for still hunting cause the fabric will make little or no noise with walking through bush.

Happy-I have checked the pack out at Wholesale Sports.Really nice pack just not 100% sold yet.

Brambles-I tried the scabbard on the J107 out and liked the way it worked.I have found the pics on the Eberlestock website regarding the creativity of guys tying antlers on.Its the only internal frame pack that seems to be able to tye them on.
    The Lastenkraxe is very strong,I have a bud that packs moose quarters back to the boat bone in on his.But at 70L in size I would be going backwards on volume for packing camp in let alone load out.Thats a stickler there.
    There are alot of really good gear tech kinda guys using the J104-105-107 series of packs and they all seem to praise them.Quite a few guys just started using them this year so I will see what guys have to say over the fall.RB

Hi Doug..

I have tried both internal and external frames..while the internal may have a BIT of en edge for comfort they also allow sweat to build up behind the close fit..something I personally dont like..they also are somewhat limited in hauling out moose meat quarters etc..YES they can do it but not as well as the external setup..imho

I have the CABELLAS OUTFITTERS external frame and bag it has a top pouch for hydration bag and tubing clip..their is a integral rain fly for enhanced waterproofness ..the bag easily removes via velcro and straps no noisy metal...it has plenty of room and seperat pockets and a long spotting scope padded compartment..also a rifle sling tucked away so the rifle is protected..leaving hands free for hiking poles

once the bag is removed ....fast and easy..the frame is light and TOUGH and very well padded with plenty of adjustment and the padding provides plenty of room for sweat and heat to disipateand not soak your back..

It has a orange buckled material to hold moose quarters or elk quarters in the orange is a well thought out saftey item ,the restraining material holds the meat in pretty well ( I STILL use some cord ) it does have the freighter type shelf support vernice no slippage there and it is adjustable to actually tilt the rear of the shelf support UP to pull the moose quarter closer to your back and the frame...

The frame and bag is extremely well built..and I have had no trouble hauling a HUGE moose quarter out on this pack or taking 100 pounds worth of gear in..

I wish the actual "bag " was a pound or two lighter however it does everything I ask and has never failed me in 8 years....

I also am open to you looking at it...

cheers

Steven

I had my tent, sleeping bag, stove, fuel, raingear, jacket and food for a couple days plus my camera, GPS, Rangefinder, spotting scope and tripod plus some other small goodies AND half a caribou on my back. So with a 70L pack you can still manage, of course I did have two Outdoor research Crampon pouches strapped to the outside of the pack for my spotter and other goodies in them.

I'll be using mine all season and I'll post up some pics of it loaded and how it performs. Hopefully with a big rack strapped to the outside for demonstrational purposes.

I would probably swap out for the Tatonka if I was purposly hauling mega meat, be it moose or elk but for deer, sheep and goat sized animals I think the J107 will work well. Time will tell and build confidence in it.
    Last edited by Brambles; 08-20-2008 at 09:42 PM.

only thing I've found with the j104 (limited use so far) is if it's not full it carries a little low?- verticle straps cannot tighten any further.