Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: First sheep !!

Re: First sheep !!

Quote Originally Posted by 6616 View Post
    How many guys on here have shot a ram only to find out on closer inspection that's it's borderline, then you get through the inspection and it's OKed and pinned and you're on your way, happy and very relieved. Would you then listen to the critics who say it's not legal (only by looking at photographs) and go back to the Ministry and say "my friends say you made a mistake", "this is not a legal ram", "consficate it and charge me"!!!!??? I think not, lets get off Mark's case and worry about poachers or something serious. This is not going to lead to a bunch of illegal rams being harvested or cause a conservation concern for Stone's Sheep. Why can't we just be happy for Mark for getting his first sheep and leave it at that.

Mark, the Ministry pinned your ram, it's now their responsibility, you could never be charged under these circumstances, deliver it to your taxidermist, take what you've learned from this discussion, and then forget about this thread.

No one is perfect, any hunter or inspector can make a mistake, this is not an issue as if dozens of illegal rams are being pinned each year. Let it go!
    Well said Andy.

While I am one that believes both Mark4 and the inspector have incorrectly aged this ram, and am very glad that from an educational standpoint that this has been brought to light, in no way do I believe that Mark4 should be persecuted for it. I also don't advocate for him to turn himself and his ram in, or for others to sick CO's on him, bully him or whatever. Other than the aging (IMHO), Mark4 did everything right. Also IMHO, its water under the bridge at this point and Mark4's ram is legally his. As Andy says, this ram is not a conservation concern on its own, and it will not lead to a bunch of illegal rams being shot....particularly given the awareness that has been raised by this thread.

The best outcome of this situation is that a whole bunch of people are more aware of the difficulties inherent in aging rams on the hoof. Hopefully, the inspector that passed this ram will take a hard look at how he is aging rams.

Cheers,
    4ster

How many guys on here have shot a ram only to find out on closer inspection that's it's borderline, then you get through the inspection and it's OKed and pinned and you're on your way, happy and very relieved. Would you then listen to the critics who say it's not legal (only by looking at photographs) and go back to the Ministry and say "my friends say you made a mistake", "this is not a legal ram", "consficate it and charge me"!!!!??? I think not, lets get off Mark's case and worry about poachers or something serious. This is not going to lead to a bunch of illegal rams being harvested or cause a conservation concern for Stone's Sheep. Why can't we just be happy for Mark for getting his first sheep and leave it at that.

Mark, the Ministry pinned your ram, it's now their responsibility, you could never be charged under these circumstances, deliver it to your taxidermist, take what you've learned from this discussion, and then forget about this thread.

No one is perfect, any hunter or inspector can make a mistake, this is not an issue as if dozens of illegal rams are being pinned each year. Let it go!

I couldn't agree more, congrats Mark and thanks (even though I am sure some of this took the shine off) on your first ram. DD

Nice ram Mark, be proud and happy of your accomplishment. The only opinions that count and have validity are yours and the inspectors!

Ignore the "drugstore hunters who think they know it all".
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

6616;

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you not involved with the BCWF and other hunting related organizations? If so it is ironic that you have made the above statements. Please tell me, what stand you and everyone else on this site would have taken if this aging error had taken place in a G/O camp. We all hunt under the same criteria when hunting Stone Sheep, anyone with experience knows the Ram in question is not even close to borderline. The law as you know is 8 years old or full curl. This Ram is not close in either category, for an inspector to pass it is beyond ridiculous and with the mud smeared on the ministries face now they have no choice but to look at. The attitude of most the people on here to bury the fact it was harvested shows me the caliber of the average resident sheep hunter. Those of you encouraging Mark to ignore the fact should all be ashamed of your ethics. Maybe the department should propose all guided hunting for Stone Sheep with a one in a life time bag limit instead of education.

Mark. I see that by your posts you are starting to feel that those of us questioning your Ram are out of line. In actual fact you can trust 30 years of experience hunting these animals, with over 100 of them taken for clients and do the right thing by taking it in for verifacation or listen to those on here that are not helping you in any manner. The law is the law and no one is above it. My advice is don't get yourself in deeper cawcaw than you already are. It's your choice.

Sorry to be so BLUNT; Bill

I think everyone has had a chance to express his/her opinion here. Now it's going ot go around in circles...

Unless someone gives me a good reason to re-open the thread, it will remain locked.

Been interesting, anyway.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!