Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pheasants

Re: pheasants

If not this year i'll be doing a trip there with my DD pup next year.Be nice to train her steady to wing and shot on real birds.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Nice looking Pup but should n't need the wet suit as it takes away from the whole purpose of the breed and purpose of the coat don't you think? My 2nd. GWP I owned in the 80's would break ice to get a downed birds in the late season. Always take 2 of my GWP's later in the year with me hunting pheasants but always start the season with the E.Pointers till the snow flies then to hard to keep track of them as they are all white...puphood1

Quote Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
    Nice looking Pup but should n't need the wet suit as it takes away from the whole purpose of the breed and purpose of the coat don't you think? My 2nd. GWP I owned in the 80's would break ice to get a downed birds in the late season. Always take 2 of my GWP's later in the year with me hunting pheasants but always start the season with the E.Pointers till the snow flies then to hard to keep track of them as they are all white...puphood1
    Wearing a neoprene vest upland hunting can kill a dog.
    That dog is hunting ducks. Even a thick coated lab needs a vest when hunting ducks on a slow and cold winter day.
    Hooked on quack.

I don't know where you are hunting in AB but I limit every day I go out. Often with a double.
    Hooked on quack.

The Vest is for Late winter you can't see in that picture but the ice is a 1/4 inch thick that day.It also protects her belly from the thickets in the water.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Puphood, several years ago I heard that there was good pheasant hunting to be had in Washington state, around Wenatchee I think. You ever try that or hear about it ? Seems to be more doable than Montana or N. Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    The Vest is for Late winter you can't see in that picture but the ice is a 1/4 inch thick that day.It also protects her belly from the thickets in the water.
    Buck your concern for the dogs well being in cold weather is admirable and sould be everyones major concern when asking a dog to do something that is potentially harmful to themselves. No one wants to see a dog get into trouble or hurt for something that could be avoided.
    The idea of a allround dog was invented for the modern family who could not house multi dogs for the field. Hence the popularity of the VDD and NAVHDA breeds. All dogs have there place in the field but they have there limits be it cold, hot weather or what ever. Those limits of any dog a smart owner must understand and prepare for.
    Yesterday it was a 38 C outside and I ran 3 of my young E. Pointers off horseback for 20 min. and they were done (but not exhausted). However I gauged there gaits and condition as we ran and had plenty of water (20 gallons) back at the horse trailer to pour over them and quickly cool them down.Yes I could of asked them to run another 10 min. but that would of been plain stupid off me. All are back at the kennel this am barking and ready to go today again...puphood1

Yes we did some training this weekend Pointing in the morning with rabbit drag.Then when it got hot 38C we did live duck search so she is in water.I'm preparing her for the HZP in Oct.She wasn't wearing a vest this weekend LOL
    BCWF
    CCFR

- Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Puphood, several years ago I heard that there was good pheasant hunting to be had in Washington state, around Wenatchee I think. You ever try that or hear about it ? Seems to be more doable than Montana or N. Dakota.
    When I lived in BC I went to a few Field Trials in the Spokane area and the locals said they had good pheasants in the area. Also a friend of mine lately from Leithbridge goes down to the Spokane area to hunt Quail and Pheasants with his brother who lives there and knows the area. They seem to do well. However he also hunts MT. and it is his prefrance also...puphood1

Living in Lethbridge and going to Montana to hunt pheasants is like living in Sooke and going to Washington to fish salmon.
    I guess it is a little easier for me in AB because I am related to every one from Raymond to Cardston.
    Hooked on quack.