Thread: Timney Remington Trigger

Timney Remington Trigger

Just ordered a new Timney for my Remington Mod. 700 direct from Timney. I have never re-triggered a gun before but something had to be done. I find that the two 700's I own have terrible triggers. This one is set to break at 2.5 lbs. and is adjustable from 1.5 to 4 pounds. I thought 1.5 a little light for general hunting, maybe okay for varmints or bench shooting. Anyone out there had any experience with these triggers?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Timney Remington Trigger

I havent owned any aftermarket Remington triggers yet. I find the factory ones work well when adjusted.

Did you try to adjust yours? it's pretty simple fix IMO
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have one on my 300H&H. It works real nice. I like mine just the way they sent it.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I havent owned any aftermarket Remington triggers yet. I find the factory ones work well when adjusted.

Did you try to adjust yours? it's pretty simple fix IMO

No I haven't. Didn't know that they were adjustable. I've cleaned it up the best I could but that's about it. Do you polish it like a revolver trigger?

its not recommended to use below 3.5 lbs with a factory remmy trigger, if you want safe and lighter trigger pull then you should go aftermarket.

take the action out of the stock, lay it upside down with trigger sitting up. there'll be a screw in the back of the trigger assembly. with the rifle cocked and ready to fire (unload gun first ), turn the screw IN slowly until the firing pin drops...then back of out about 1/4 turn. cock the bolt to make sure it holds the pin from firing. then go to the front of the trigger assembly, there will be two screws, the top screw (gun upside down) is the pull weight screw. slowly screw it out, testing the trigger as you go for proper pull weight. you should be able to get it down to about 2 lbs before it becomes unsafe and goes off when you dont want it to. if the trigger creeps a bit you can usually eliminate it by adjusting the rear screw (first one I explained on adjusting) by turning it in/out until you find the sweet spot

do a google search on remington 700 trigger adjustments lots of good info

I just did a trigger today, turned a 6 lb creepy son of a bitch into 2.5 lbs of smoooooth glass in about 5 minutes
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

i will slam the bolt closed hard many times, if it drops I will adjust it a bit heavier until it holds. also put safety on, pull trigger, release pressure on trigger and flip safety to fire. it shouldnt fire ever. last test I do is place barreled action in stock, tighten up action screws snug and cock rifle, put safety to fire, grab barrel by muzzle and repeatedly beat the butt pad on the floor. you will want to make sure gun is not loaded for this step. if everything looks good I will take it apart and put nail polish on the screws and good to go

Thanks Todd,
    I'll give it a go. I have two 700's. I'll see if I can dial in the 30-06.

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Just some food for thought here. When adjusting the factory trigger try using a snap cap or empty case. I have seen it change the trigger pull on a factory Remington when weighing trigger pull with and without something in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Just some food for thought here. When adjusting the factory trigger try using a snap cap or empty case. I have seen it change the trigger pull on a factory Remington when weighing trigger pull with and without something in the chamber.

Will do, thanks.