Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brant decoy for the Delta Waterfowl dinner Sept 20th

Brant decoy for the Delta Waterfowl dinner Sept 20th

I'm doing up a brant decoy for the Delta Waterfowler dinner at the Vancouver Gun Club Sept 20th. Figured folks might like see the bird as it progresses along.

Cut out, western red cedar. Freehanded the head and am not sure I like the flow.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brant decoy for the Delta Waterfowl dinner Sept 20th

Roughed out here and ready to hollow and glue up. Ended up changing the way the neck met the body, much happier with this..

i know i will definately be bidding on that bad boy ian. nice job.am looking forward to witnessing your progress then seeing the actual deek in person. looking forward to seeing you there ....fowl

Little further along, hollowed, glued up and ready to be finaled, next eye's, sealer some primer and then paint!

Dale, looking forward to the dinner already, mmmmmm crab! Hopefully it goes over well and the boys want it and want it with their pocket books!

Ian

ian, could you put together a few pictures of the making of this decoy as i think this would be a nice touch at the banquet if we had some form of a history we could add to the decoy on some form of plaque or something. thanks again for the generous donation....fowl

Dale,

Not a problem, I'll do something up with a bit of a bio etc. The big deal is that my waiting list is a minimum of year right now so in a sense this a giant queue jump..

Ian

Starting to look good Ian. I was just wondering what you use to hollow out the body. In my own attempts at carving decoys (such as they are ) this has given me a lot of problems.

Thanks
    John

John,

I use a drill press and forstner bits then clean up with a ball nose typhoon...

What part of the province are you in?

Shoot me an email irfeir@shaw.ca if you want to chat abit more about carving...

Ian

I am looking forward to see the finish product. I have admired your craftsmanship and attention to detail on your website (I lost the bookmark when my computer crashed, hint, hint.) and therefore know that this will turn out a beauty.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

hint received..

www.partridgecreek.ca

Not as up to date as it should be...

Ian