Thread: need help on moultrie D40 camera

need help on moultrie D40 camera

hey guys just wondering if any of you guys have the moultrie d40 tree cam and if so just a couple of questions on setting it up propper
    i set it up in the bush on my trail and set it to auto so im asumming it will take pics every min but how do i set it up so it only takes pics when an animal walks by, do i leave it on auto or set it to IR mode just a few questions
    thanks
    kk
    I've hunted almost everday of my life the rest has been wasted

2. Site Sponsor

Re: need help on moultrie D40 camera

I just leave mine on auto, and happy with the results.
    There is a setting within the setup menu to lengthen the time between shots. I don't have mine in front of me right now, but would recommend leaving it on auto for a while, then check back in for your surprise pics. Then adjust the setup as required.

ya i seen the part where you can set the diffrent times on it i think you can go right up to 10 mins for each pic just wondering if you can set it just for when the animal triggers it to go off
    thanks for your help
    kk

Off topic but how did the goat hunt go? Pretty darn hot right now!
    Sorry for the thread drift......

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Off topic but how did the goat hunt go? Pretty darn hot right now!
    Sorry for the thread drift......
    it went good i guess im going to post a story tonight with pic we only got up on sunday seen a few goat but all nanies with two kids there were 4 nannies and two kids i was thinking about taking a one with my bow but could not tell what kid belonged to which nanny so i passed all in all good trip nice day to be on the mnt thats for sure
    kk

Thx..I'll look for the story later. Sounds like you made the right choice anyway.

IR mode is only for testing the range of the sensor- you change it to IR mode and walk past the camera and the led will turn red, go out further away and walk past again if it doesn't turn red your out of range. It does not take a pic in this mode.
    The only mode that will take pix is the AUTO mode or the Shutter mode but the shutter mode is manually triggered by pressing the shutter button. (if you want to take a pic of a deer on your way to set it up)
    I've found that if you set it to take two or three pix at every trigger you one or two will be good and usually one out of focus set the quality to high buy a 4pack of 1gig sd cards from walmart for 25$ and just swap them out when you check the camera.
    -If your getting alot of pics of nothing try changing the location, don't point it into direct sunlight or it will take a pic every morning when the sun hits it? hope this post answers your question.

Any of the digital cameras only take pictures when the motion sensor is triggered (i.e. an animal walks buy). The time limits are so you dont waste film /memory on the same animal.

For example I had an old film type of trail camera and the first time I went I set the timer for 1 minite. The camera was set up over looking a sort of grassy meadow. I came and checked the camera after a week and was surprised to find all 24 pictures had been taken and it had been triggered another 50 times. When I got the film developed I had 24 pictures of about 10 beef cows feeding in the meadow. All 24 pics were snapped in a 1/2 hour time period. After that I set the camera to take a pic every 10 minites and I would only get the occasional double pic of animals becuase they rarly hung around for a 1/2 hour.

BHB

thanks guys that does help me out just this is the first time i've used one of these and did not want to do any thing wrong i put the camera out last saterday and going to check it out on friday so i'll post pics if i get any thing thanks so much for you guys help
    kk