Thread: New Broadheads

New Broadheads

Ive been looking around for some new broadheads for this upcoming season and I found these http://www.spintite.com/crimsontalon.html

Does anyone have any experience with these? If not what kind of heads do you prefer?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Broadheads

Believe it or not, those are illegal in Colorado and likely a few other states. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Pretty good looking broad head but i like my montecs.

Allthough I have not personally shot these heads....everything I have heard about them leads me to not want to try them. While they do fly well, they seem to disintegrate when hitting "hard" materials....like FOAM!!! Apperantley they are quite flimsy. I'm with sealevel....go with a montec and you'll be very pleased!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

While I have only taken one animal with my bow I like my MUZZY'S. MIKE
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I will be using the 3 blade Muzzy's myself this year. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Bow Walker Guest

Thumbs up Re: New Broadheads

I looked at them via the link that you posted and as with most on this site, I don't particularly like Crimson Talon. Pretty light weight and breakable from what I have seen and heard.

Try this site for broadhead reviews - 5 Shot knows his stuff.
    http://www.broadheadtests.com

I personally use Slick Tricks and have found them to be deadly accurate (they fly like my field tips) also they are DEADLY period.......they leave a good, wet blood trail and they are extremely easy to re-sharpen.
    http://www.slicktrick.net

They had some early problems with the 100 gr heads in that they were a bit to light in the ferrule. They corrected that in short order and now they are strong, accurate, and deadly.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 08-05-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Bow Walker Guest

I know that I posted a positive report - albeit from a personal point of view - about Slick Trick broadheads about 2 weeks ago and I still stand by my comments and observations concerning the heads.........................but

I was in Courtenay last week and I dropped into Peter's Sports on Duncan Ave, just off 5th St. While in there and talking to Rick Phipps I picked up a package of 100 grain Razorcaps. I had been looking at these broadheads on the internet for a while now and was delighted to find them in the store. You can see them at this site http://www.razorcaps.com/

First chance that I got I opened the package and weighed the heads. One was right on at 100 grains, one was a tad over at 103 grains, the last one was 105 grains.

I tested them for sharpness and found that they were in the category of being "very-sharp-right-out-of-the-box". While I will be touching them up before the season, I would use them right out of the box if I had no way of sharpening them first - they are that sharp.

When I screwed them onto my PSE 300's and slapped them onto the arrow tester to see how they were for straightness I was surprised at how little "tuning" they required.

Now it is off to the range on Sunday to see how they fly. I have every confidence that they will group with my field tips without any problems at all.

Good looking head - if that counts for anything. Nice cross section and they look to be very strong as well. I think that this will be my head for opening day. More on their performance later.

Dan.

After reading diffrent opinions and write ups, I decided to pick up the 100 grain Montec G5's, but they sure dont come cheap. Maybe I didnt get a very good deal, I paid $50 bux for 3 broadheads. How would I go about sharpening these broadheads? I've always just assumed broadheads were ready to be shot right out of the box.