Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Base layers

Re: Base layers

Merino wool these days in different weights. I have one old piece of poly pro that I still use too.

Anything but cotton,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Merino wool these days in different weights. I have one old piece of poly pro that I still use too.

Anything but cotton,,,,,
    x2 for the Merino wool. A little pricey but well worth it. Used to use the poly but could hardly stand myself after a day or two.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

I use icebreakers merino wool. Amazing stuff, warm, and I've worn it for two weeks straight without it getting stinky. It's warm, and that is really the only problem with the stuff...because you don't want to be wearing it on a 20 deg C day on early moose, elk, sheep whatever hunt.

It's all I wear below my parka and pants working in the actic in the spring (-35).

I use under armour heat gear and cold gear, also use merino wool which is better in my opinion since it does not get stinky and feels more natural.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

I've used a number of brand names over the years. I have some Under Armour, but I find it feels clammy after sweating into it. My favourite for the cold it is Helly Hensen every time. I've been wearing it since the start of my mountaineering days in the early 80's and it has never let me down. Their Lifa t-shirts and long-sleev tees are excellent, as are their under sock and inner gloves. All wick away the moisture better than else anythign I've encountered. The heavyweight HH underwear is oustanding in extreme cold, too, esp. for skidoo time.

I like wool, too, but not next to the skin (just my preference). When wool gets wet (even from perspiration) it stay warm. I great choice for a second layer.

In the cold, I tend to dress in three or four layers with a windproof layer on the outside. That way I can regulate my body temp easier. I try to avoid over-perspiration whenever possible, as you lose not only water, but valuable minerals, too.

Cheers!

A-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQE9N0OCnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA&feature=fvst

I have used Kombi poly base layer for years.Does'nt seem to matter how much you wash poly it still has that residual smell that lingers and comes back strong after one day hiking.
    I bought some smartwool merino this year and will be switching to that this fall.I bought the midweight as I prefer just the base layer under my camo,wind gear rain gear what ever.RB

I got my Sitka stuff today. A set of the Core (early season) and Traverse (slightly insulated) bottom/zip t shirts. Real comfortable, it's +27 in my house and I'm wearing the Core stuff not feeling overheated or sweaty at all
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Where did you buy the Sitka gear?

+27....yuck!

got the Sitka gear from Omineca Sports
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I used the Sitka CORE shirt recently. It's pretty good. better than UNDERARMOUR and event he HH I used to use. Still takes a few to dry out in the wind, and it still smells (but not so bad as any other polypro I've used) Liek to find some early season, fast wickign merino wool, apparently it doesn't stink.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!