Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Base layers

Base layers

Last edited by Kechika; 08-29-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    "ETCOOMS"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Base layers

T-shirt with the plaid jacket

I ALWAYS have at least 4 dryfit (underarmour, MEC, whatever) nearby with freezer size ziploc bags to store the sweaty dirty ones in. Nothing like being dry again after a hot hike into a secret spot during a cold morning... when your now sitting there feeling your sweat get cold and it takes away from your focus.

I use the BaseSlayer from Cabelas in Camo. Really like it. Plus it can be used as the only layer on hot September days.

usually a pair of polyester gym shorts and a Rocky 100% poly long sleeve. Gonna get Sitka Core stuff maybe this fall...we'll see
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I bought a underarmour shirt at sportsmans wharehouse, bought XL like I always wear. WELL it was technical fit and it was friggin tight, I had to give it to my brother because unless your physically gifted and look like Adonis you look like a complete dork in them.

I wouldn't mind trying on their NON technical fit stuff because I hear its good stuff but no one sells it near here and I wont' go on faith with them again.

Use the Under Armour with a micro fleece over top. It dries out in no time. Throw in a Stanfield & lightweight rain jacket & your good to go.
    I'd say the tech fit will probably keep you warmer.

I've been using underarmor the last couple of years. Using the "compression" models, If you have a 6 pack abs, you will look/feel like a superhero. If you have ever drank a beer in your life, you will feel liek a sausage.

I use thier relaxed fit stuff, it's good polypro, but lik all polypro, it does stink after a day. On the upside, you coudl get by with 2 shirts, alternating washing one in a creek and wearing one. They dry FAST.

When I get around to it, I'm going to try merino wool, hear it doens't stink.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Yeah, I'm a fan of packing two of everything and washing one in a creek when not in use.
    Merino is the way to go I think.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Depending on the weather. In warm weather I wear silk undergarments and in the winter wool and/or fleece and then add layers as needed, like wool shirts and Thisulate padded jackets, parka, pants or bib-coveralls. Warm or cold I always where silk socks and over it different weights of wool socks, again depending on weather. Silk wicks water away and like wool or fleece keeps you warm even when wet at a fraction of the cost of Under Armor.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"