Thread: 100 grain vs. 125 grain field points?

100 grain vs. 125 grain field points?

I am new to archery and this will be my first year of bowhunting. I am currently using 125 grain fieldpoints but was told that they are too heavy. I am shooting a PSE thunderbolt with a 55 pound pull and my draw length is 27 inches. I am hoping to hunt blacktailed deer this fall.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: 100 grain vs. 125 grain field points?

I'd agree that 125 grain heads are a bit much - they aren't overly much by any means - they're just a tad slow. You could gain some speed and not sacrifice a whole lot of KE by going to 100 grain heads and a Gold Tip shaft called the 5575 (or even the 3555, cut to your length).

thanks for the input bowwalker. I have all my pins sighted in so I wanted to make sure that I didn't change it all for nothing.

If you're interested, you could do a search on "Front of Center" (FOC) which is a tuning method. Essentially many people with a 28 inch or longer arrow will find that a heaver head (125 grain) will get them closer to the optimum FOC which promotes better broadhead flight. I'm assuming you will be hunting with your bow and will want to have field points and broadheads of the same weight. This however is really getting into fine tuning so don't feel like you have to play around with these calculations. I would think you're current setup will shoot just fine with either 100 or 125 grains. I agree with Bowwalker... "they aren't overly much by any means..." (Hey I used to shoot a PSE Thunderbolt too!)

Quote Originally Posted by jrhunter View Post
    thanks for the input bowwalker. I have all my pins sighted in so I wanted to make sure that I didn't change it all for nothing.
    You will need to re-sight in the broadheads as well...
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Hey Jrhunter , Release or fingers ???????
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I'm using a release.

OK Jnrhunter , There is a slight variance as you don`t have to contend with archers paradox . The compounders on this site are great with their info ...
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Bow Walker Guest

I posted a 'chapter' on "archer's paradox", which got purged due to the hacker/reboot situation. Just haven't the patience tonight to re-type it all - sorry.