• 8x Binocular is what I like

30 30.93%
  • 10x Binocular is what I like

65 67.01%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What power binoculars do you prefer

Bow Walker Guest

Re: What power binoculars do you prefer

I.B.O. rules state that the maximim power can only be 8.5 - as listed by the manufacturer. That's why I got 8.5 by Vortex. I went with the largest light gathering lense that I could and so ended up with a great set of 8.5x50's.

Oops - I dropped a "label". Damn! I wasn't going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I.B.O. rules state that the maximim power can only be 8.5 - as listed by the manufacturer. That's why I got 8.5 by Vortex. I went with the largest light gathering lense that I could and so ended up with a great set of 8.5x50's.

Oops - I dropped a "label". Damn! I wasn't going to do that.
    Didn't realize that rule for 3d's.

Does anyone know why the rule is in place??

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Of all the binoculars I own, and I own may in different configurations, the Swarovski 10 x 42 are my favorite. It a good all around size that permits me to see far into the distance or pick apart details in thickets.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Didn't realize that rule for 3d's.

Does anyone know why the rule is in place??

SSS
    I copied this from the "rules"...my guess would be that it creates somewhat of a level playing field for all.

C. BINOCULARS AND RANGEFINDERS
    1. An integral part of IBO 3-D competition is the archer’s ability to judge yardage without the assistance of range-finding devices or assistance from others. Therefore, cameras, rangefinders, or any other devices that may be used to calculate yardage to the target are prohibited. An archer may not use parts of his or her body, the bow, or any other accessories or equipment to calculate yardage. Any mark on otherwise legal binoculars that could be construed as a reference point for range finding is prohibited.
    2. Hand held binoculars of 8.5 or less magnification (per manufacturer’s specifications) are allowed
    3. Binoculars shall not be used at the stake after the shot has been taken. An archer with an adjustable sight may not re-adjust their sight after they have used their binoculars at the shooting stake. Archers may utilize binoculars additionally to view the target, while waiting their turn at the shooting stake or from an on deck area behind a group that is in the process of shooting a target.

I have 10 X 50 Swaro that I purchased years ago however when I go sheep hunting I do wish I had something smaller as I think it would complement my spotting scope.

My next optics purchase will be 8 x42 swaro. (I answered the poll by saying I liked the 10X power which I do...)

Dan I stand corrected I thought it was 8 but the FCA rules state "Binoculars of less than 9 power " Thanks for the correction. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Bow Walker Guest

Darn it Mike! Now I gotta go out and get some 9 power binos so as to push the envelope should I ever get the chance to compete in a "sanctioned shoot".........

oh well, what else is the paycheque good for, eh?

10x(BAUSCH & LOMB) -don't have the shakes to use <10x!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    10X

There are times I wish I had 8X, but I think if I carried 8X I'd wish I had 10X more often...
    I'm pretty much the opposite... I've always owned 8X binoculars, and I have yet to wish I had a 10X...but I've often been glad to have the 8X (or even wished I had a nice 7X with a wider FOV).

I've found that for all practical purposes, a high-quality 8X42 will show you as much or more detail as a 10X42, especially while being hand-held - to get the benefits of the extra 2X, the 10 will usually have to be sporting a larger objective or have higher quality glass. All else being equal, the 8X will be smaller and lighter, and generally easier to carry around and hold steady. Also the 8X will have a wider FOV, probably will have a better depth of field, and will be at least theoretically, a little brighter.

I have a set of 8X42 Pentax DCF SP roofs, and to see all their detail, I have to have them sitting on something solid. If I'm trying to see one more tine on a buck at 3, 4, or 500 metres, and if good quality 8X binos won't do it, the odds are an equivalent bino won't either - so I figure, why p*ss around with binoculars at that point, I'll have my 20X compact leupy spotter in the pack and it'll be coming out anyways!
    my 2 bits anyways.