Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Footwear for Sheep

Re: Footwear for Sheep

Oh ya and be prepared for snow in the ashnola , i got snowed out on my sheep hunt .

I use a Scarpa Mountaineering boot that is full shank and leather. They are a few yrs old now but I reguarly treat the leather. Combined with gaiters my feet stay bone dry regardless how wet it is and I have excellent foot support.

I am not a fan of wet feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarp Man View Post
    If you want an extra-ordinary boot fitting experience, head to AJ Brooks on Broadway, across from MEC. Plan on spending at least an hour there, and two hours is more than likely. They vocally support hunters and the military, and make no bones about it. Then you don't have to hold your nose at MEC, cause you can thumb it to them from across the street. While you are there, check out their external frame packs from Tatonka. Pretty heavy duty, I'd say.

I've shopped at AJ Brooks plenty of times, and their service is great.

A few weeks ago we were shopping for a new pair of boots for my GF. We tried a few shops, but she has a long narrow foot and nothig felt right. As I had to go to MEC for some Mountina House meals anyway, I suggested she go across the street to AJ Brooks. She wanted to come wiht me, so while I was shopping she was tryign on boots.

The MEC folks tried thier best, but really, they dont' have the knowledge or the products.

I told her to go to AJ BRooks whiel I unloaded my stuff in the truck. When I arrived to meet her, she was already being attended to by a very knowledgable young woman, who was tying up her boots properly etc.

We left awhile later with a great pair of Meindal Narrow Womans boots. Yeah, it cost me $400 and at the other stores we coudl have had a pair of boots fo $200-$250, but as I have wide feet, I know how important it is to have properly fitted boots!

Great service once again from AJ Brooks.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Meindl's Canada Hunter worked well for me and are the best boot I've ever owned
    ________
    Ford XK Falcon
    Last edited by porcupine; 01-29-2011 at 09:45 AM.

porcupine I just cant believe all the miles Ive put on my pair for so many years and they STILL are going STRONG..

Steven

My dad bought me a pair of Meindl's from A.J. Brooks about 4 years ago because I was replacing my Merrell's every 12-18 months. I had never heard of them before but my dad insisted it was time to pay the big bucks as it would be cheaper in the long run.

Well I still have the Meindl's and they don't even look worn out. Been on numerous high mountain hunts for goats, sheep and elk and never had a problem. Unlike the Merrell's I have never had wet feet in the Meindl's. I figure as long as I treat them regularly I should be able to get 10 years out of them!

No dispute here. I have heard many good things about AJ Brooks.

MEC is a crap shoot. Some employees can be very knowledgeable and helpful and some a pain in the butt......

Yep, Meindls.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

so it seems like Meindl's it is. But what is the cost of these boot.

i know i know you cant put a price on comfort and a good quality of boot but what can a guy expect to pay for these boots?
    Trigger finger

I tried on the Meindls at AJ brooks this year, they were too narrow and created hot spots very quickly. They said that there wasn't anything they could do for me so......

I took leap and bought the Hanwag Alaska GTX, although not as stiff or tall as the Canada Pro Meindls, they are probably without a doubt the most comfortable out of the box boot I have ever warn, the soles roll very nicely where the meindls were clunky. The Hanwags soles are cushoned a fair bit more and really reduces shock. The Hanwags are also $100 less and free shipping from Monod's sports in Banff. They are also resoleable.