Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Footwear for Sheep

Footwear for Sheep

Well, technically, you could say sheep HAVE footwear, I suppose, so I have some catching up to do. (Had to head off all the smart-arses out there....lol)
    I have my big Irish Setters, which provide good support, and warmth, but I'm feeling I need something lighter, that doesn't compromise on ankle support and comfort.
    I've had enough "side-hill-toe" for one lifetime ALREADY.

My buddy Humble Hunter got an Ashnola draw for late Sept, and I'll be along to film it, and knock down any Mulies that get in his F.O.V. , so it shouldn't be too cold, especially during the day **Sweat drips**

SSssssooooo lemme know what you guys wear!!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Footwear for Sheep

I use Zamberlin boots and will continue to buy them as long as the quality remains good. They just fit me the best of any boot I have ever tried. I had to hold my nose and order from MEC however. What fits me might not fit you well but since you live in the lower mainland you can go and try on a pair and see.

Quote Originally Posted by ElkMasterC View Post
    Well, technically, you could say sheep HAVE footwear, I suppose, so I have some catching up to do. (Had to head off all the smart-arses out there....lol)
    Couldn't resist. Sorry You did say sheep footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Couldn't resist. Sorry You did say sheep footwear.
    I dont know whats worse...that, or the pics of Gate in the tutu....
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Have been on many mountain hunts. Meindels have always served me well. The taller hunter model you may want to save for later in the season and go for a shorter style. A.J. Brooks in Vancouver have a good selection which will allow you to at least try them on before the big purchase. If you decide that these are not for then you have not paid any money by catalogue. You MUST try on any hunting boot before you by and put some miles on them before you go.
    Be prepared for creek and possibly river crossings. Keep the boots dry,take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

In the end, remember it's all worth every minute in the mountains.

I have a pair of Meindles also they are the "CANADA" model..I have used them every year for deer and sheep and even some of the moose hunts and cariboo..they have yet to wear out or leak after 12 years.
    I can carry a heavy pack in addition to my own heavy weight..
    Never sore feet...great ankle support and work very well on side hill gouging..

Steven

and my goodness that sheep looks familliar..VERY WELL DONE AND FUNNY
    SR

Have used Cabela's 9" Outfitter series boots for last couple years. Pleased with the purchase, and how well they have held up for a couple sheep hunts and chasing elk/ deer/ moose locally.

If you want an extra-ordinary boot fitting experience, head to AJ Brooks on Broadway, across from MEC. Plan on spending at least an hour there, and two hours is more than likely. They vocally support hunters and the military, and make no bones about it. Then you don't have to hold your nose at MEC, cause you can thumb it to them from across the street. While you are there, check out their external frame packs from Tatonka. Pretty heavy duty, I'd say.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

Meindls for me also from AJ Brooks. I have the Makula Pro 3000 model with a very high rand all around and over the toe. These boots are built to take the abuse of sheep and goat hunting. This is my second pair and I can't see changing. First pair lasted me 6 years with resoling after 3 years. Second pair is also 3 years old and I just resoled them. Buy cheap boots and they'll last perhaps 1, 2, or 3 years at most!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

meindles have been the best for me , i will always buy them now .