Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hunters in Area" posted sign

"Hunters in Area" posted sign

When going into a cut block, slash or valley that has "one way in-one way out" access, have you ever posted or come across a roadside sign/board alerting those coming in after you of "Hunters in the Area", etc. ????

Came across this last season and thought it was an interesting way of letting those know that the area ahead is being hunted ... certainly may stop those unaware from running their quad/vehicle etc., through the area you are hunting?

The sign was professionally done/sprayed (approx. 3ftX3ft plywood/white writing on black propped up with rocks-you absolutely could not miss it!), and let us know that their were 3 hunters in the area and that a camp was ahead ... it seemed someone had done a pretty exhaustive job in preparing for their hunt !
    Anyway ... we turned around and headed into another area (should have gone in a day earlier! ...)

BS

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Hunters in Area" posted sign

In Theory is a good idea..until people start thinking its a good way to keep others out of there hunting areas and start posting and leaving signs around even when they're not there.

good point !... we just assumed that the area was being hunted - we didn't check (which is I guess what they were hoping for)

Ive come across areas where someone has posted a "no hunting" sign, and I know this is crown land, so I ignored it an continued on. Pretty easy for someone to buy some signs from the local hardware store and post them up at there favorite place. If I wasnt a local I would have turned around and gone somewhere else
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Drove up a one-way/dead end road last year. Came across 3 guys in camo just splitting up to hunt--apologized for making noise, turned around. Wish the rest of the world would be as considerate of me.Do unto others etc. BUT! Also had many hunters block a road with their camp and then have the remainder as their own! Not a good idea!

Yeah blocking a public road isnt a good idea at all, their lucky they didnt come back to flat tires on their trailer, not that I would do that . Rob

I had a couple guys come in a cut block that a friend and I were staking out,we waved to let them know we were there and it did'nt deter them.
    After a bit we went and retrieved the truck and parked in the middle,fired up the chain saw and started cutting wood,and it was in there best interest not to approach us,kind of a respect thing and I would respect the sign.

Interesting comments ... so the sign itself was not blocking the road but off to the side ... set up at the base of a small bridge over a creek leading up into the area ... so I never took exception to it - seemed polite, informative and not "overbearing" (beware!!!, etc). I knew that it was a "one way in-one way out" spur (many others wouldn't I suppose?) ... it was clear in my mind that we just weren't there early enough. Had we proceded we would have looked like asses perhaps? ... and may have provoked confrontation ?
    anyway ... Good on em for being focused I guess !

BigSlapper, I would have done the same as you and turned around.Hunitng ethics is similar to fly fishing rivers- If you see someone fishing a pool you move on to the next one.Rob

agreed ... I'm actually thinking that I might try this "polite" tactic this year. I'm tired of hunting "dead end spurs" that others come into, drive past my parked and "off to the side" truck and start banging around, smoking, talking etc.