Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEH and high fuel prices

Re: LEH and high fuel prices

You are so right about the long Nov nights. With the bow season extending the season in December, there is more sleeping bag time than hunting. Even though I have the full setup (camper, cummins, and yes Sat Internet), I stay in my four season tent. Way less messing around and hanging out under a big ol' spruce tree with a fire and tarp if my preference. (Although any temps below -20C and it does start to get a little grim!)

How well does sat internet work, anyway?

I live in a somewhat remote area with dialup only. And no chance of high speed any time soon.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Kechika View Post
    Life wont stop when it reaches 1.80 a litre or 2.50.The kids dont need braces that bad
    Especially if they only have a couple of teeth.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Gas prices had nothing to do with where I put in my LEH. What does is convincing the wife that it is still affordable to make my annual hunting trip while going by myself this year!!! There are no amount of words or ass kissing I can do to convince her that its a good idea, but god love her, she's letting me go anyway.

and yes, she wears the pants!!!!

"How well does sat internet work, anyway?"

Gatehouse, you should look into "Xplornet". It is a internet sat service that is almost as fast as the high speed most of us use. It isn't as cheap as telus though. Numerous remote lodges, mining camps, and people I know who are on dial up use it and love it.

http://www.xplornet.com/index.php

I don't know anything about odds but I sure didn't apply for anything beyond Regions 3 and 5 due to fuel prices.
    Last edited by MichelD; 07-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.

the way I see it - is hunting trips are relatively costly anyways and most hunters use the time from thier holidays to go - you cannot ever compare the cost of the harvested animals to the cost of buying meat from your local grocery store as if we put the travel time, the scouting time, the waiting time, and of course the fuel used to get to said places and our own time we put in after the animal is successfully harvested - the cost for a hunting trip could never compare to the ease of going to a local grocery store

soooooooooo

why would the new highrise cost of fuel interfere with LEH or regular season hunting - do we not HUNT for the sake of something we enjoy, and it is a great bonus to harvest an animal for the freezer as well as the trophy wall if that is what you are after

a hunting trip of a lifetime or a hunting trip for the sake of ones enjoyment of the outdoors is priceless - it creates a memory

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

I agree, if I were to do a trip in my 5.9l 3/4 ton truck (not easy on gas by any means) and do about 2000 km's round trip on a hunt (probably what most lower mainlanders do on a moose hunt up north), it would only cost me an extra $100-150 in fuel compared to last year. To me this is not enough of a deterant to not go on an annual hunt or go after that LEH authorized animal. Especially with the amount of money spent on the hunt anyways (food, time off work, ammo, accomodations etc.). Split the cost with a hunting party and the cost is even lower.

If hunting is what you love to do then ,all you have to do is a little planning. Do it right after the last day of hunting the previous year. If it monetarily costs more, put away for it starting immediately.
    Forsake the wasting of money all year, amazing what it would amount to. Alot of people i know could easily blow over a $100.00 bucks in a bar in one night. Also you could find the closest area to you that holds your favorite species, and learn it well. The populations of animals might not be as large as somewhere else, but, your probably only allowed 1 anyway. Quit Road hunting. I drive a gas eating Dodge Cummins Diesel and nothing is going to stop me from doing what i love to do. I plan for it.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Take a look at your draw permit and see what the odds were for this new draw. and how does it compare with the odds from last year published in the LEH paper ? That should tell you if interest has changed
    Hey does it show you somewhere what the odds actually turned out for this year? Like what it will show in next years LEH draw? Obviously the papers online and in paper form are last years results, is there any where you can see how many people put in for this years?

Also, I think that it wont change LEH ammounts people put in. These are the in demand hunts, and the easier hunts. I do believe it will change the GOS hunting, I mean instead of going for the weekend drive, you might just do it every few weekends instead. Especially those in the LML.