Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse gun of choice

Re: Grouse gun of choice

The gun I have in my hand when I spy a grouse. 22LR, 17HMR, 308win, 303 British - tried em all, they all worked great. Just have to be careful to shoot the grouse in the head so you don't mess up those luscious breasts.

Only thing I never tried was a shotgun - didn't sound like fun to be picking pellets out of the meat while I ate.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

I find that useing 6 and larger shot gives more of a punch when you hit them and leave you with less crippled birds to find then say 7.5 or 8 . Also the number 6 seems to pass through and when you breast the grouse any that that is in the breast is very easily seen and removed right away . I see far too many folks perpetuate the mularky that you only shoot the head , or dont want to destry meat with a shotgun etc. Nobody says only shoot the head on a pheasant? or a rabbit. If you havnt used a 12g on grouse with either a impcyl or mod then i urge you to give it a try.

I've been using a 410 with No. 7.5 shot, but it didn't have the killing power. Any larger pellets and I didn't think there would be enough pellets. I recently bought a single shot Lakefield to carry for grouse and was thinking of bringing the S/S 12gauge along to compare. Question is, would trap loads be good enough for standing grouse or should I go to field loads?
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

I tend to favour the .22 - I believe it gives the bird more of a chance for escape. Lets face it, head shootin' grouse from 50 yards takes a little time to get set-up and there's no wing shooting.

I have a friend thats hunted with me on a few occasions. He takes his Grouse Hunting very seriously and uses a 12 gauge. He definitely brings more back than I at the end of the day and ribs me for my weapon of choice, because of this.

My rebuttal is that my hunting is seldom 'done' my way. It usually takes me the full course of the trip before I limit out and I still get to dine on fresh birds on a near daily basis. And a .22 shell is how much cheaper than a 12 gauge round?

Birds can flutter down the bank no matter what you use. That's why God invented canines.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by johnes50 View Post
    I've been using a 410 with No. 7.5 shot, but it didn't have the killing power. Any larger pellets and I didn't think there would be enough pellets. I recently bought a single shot Lakefield to carry for grouse and was thinking of bringing the S/S 12gauge along to compare. Question is, would trap loads be good enough for standing grouse or should I go to field loads?
    That's all that is needed....

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

OK, Thanks Mr. Dean.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

ILMAO Stresd, my wife gives me heck everytime I stop the truck and throw rocks at grouse. I am going to have to show her your reply.

I opt for the bow if I've got it and brass .38 blunts
    Cheers,
    Grant

My Savage .410/22 does a great job either way. Don't make that model any more and it took me years to find a nice one.

Anything from a 22-250 to a 458 Win Mag with a Hammond Game Getter
    "ETCOOMS"