Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse gun of choice

Re: Grouse gun of choice

I'll use what I've got in my hand at the time but my choice is a .410 with No. 5 shot in a 3 inch shell. Hold high and the breasts take very few pellets. Knocks 'em over real good. I usually have my .410 broken open sitting wedged between the seat and consol of the truck when I'm heading down and FSR. Easier and faster to load up than my .22 as well.

doesnt matter as long as its a magnum :P
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Winchester 101 O/U in 20 ga with 7 1/2 shot.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Man... This question haunts me....

So i started off with a 12 guage with a full choke... I would aim for the head and hope for the best... The risk with this is if you didnt calculate correctly.... you blow the crap out of the breasts...

so then i got a 410. short barrel... I would shoot the buggers and they wouldnt die.. I would hit them but they would just flap around or run down the side of the montain....

so then this past year I got my 22. I was so excited as i became a sharp shooter. I took it on my last trip and shot at 4 different grouse... I bagged one....The other ones were nowhere to be found...

so .. its a tough one. i would say a 20 guage

I usually throw my .410 or 20 gauge into the truck with me when I head out.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

12 gauge 7.5 to 8 shot or my 410 3 inch 7.5 to 8
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

" A long range shot should never be taken if the range is so great that a hold on the top the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity." Author Jack O'Conner

16ga SxS Tobin, Canadian made sidelock shot gun from the early 30's. Just because its fun and I like it.

Hunting for me is having fun . So i use an 1865 springfield 20 ga muzzle loader.

A .22 gun is my main grouser but my rockgun, stickgun, knifegun etc. Whatever is at hand. Heck, even used my Bootgun once.

I try desperately to stop/wean people from using .22's for grouse because of a near-death experience near my cabin, where some jackass shot at grouse on the road above me, and the lead ricocheted through our group. It also travels over hills and into oncoming traffic.
    I use number 5's in a 12 gauge. I aim just over the heads and have shot as many as 10 without a single pellet in the breast meat. Also, should a bird land in a spruce some distance away, the shot will find its way through the foliage too! Naturally, my 12 gauge fires slugs too, which can be very convenient