Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Turkey hunting

Re: Turkey hunting

Good evening I am heading that way on opening day any further hints would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Marley, Just know that the serious turkey numbers begin in Grand Forks and further east, and that it's best to be out at the crack of dawn so you can blow your owl or crow call and locate the buggers by their shock gobbling whilst they're still in the tree.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Hello all. I'm very new to hunting Turkey and would really appreciate a few helpful hints from the guys that are more experienced. I've got 5 days to hunt. this is my first trip out. I've watched the video's i've purchase and practice my calls as well as my predator calls. Now the directions of Grand Forks and east is a huge chunk of land. can anyone narrow it down just a bit more for me. Any help for a new hunter would be great. thanks everyone.

Hey WesternCanuk, The roads east of Grand Forks that run near streams are a good place to call at dawn and find flocks. Turkeys
    don't get that far away from a water source, just check your mapbook and find some...

Great advice thank you sir.

You're welcome, see you out there...if you spot a tom...terminate it!

any you guys ever bowhunt a turkey? What broadhead, or are you using one of them fancy neck cutting tips?
    BCWF, CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, 4WDABC, NAHC

Any broadhead will work on turkeys- Just make a good shot and hit the vitals. Expanding blades work well and are very popular. If you decide to bowhunt, a blind is essential and it must be positioned in a well scouted location to be effective. You wont have much mobility with a blind, which I don't like, and thus don't bowhunt them.

Bowhunting turkeys is one of the toughest challenges a hunter can undertake. Turkeys have the eyesight equal to that of an eagle. The advice from ABDUKNUT is good. In addition lower the draw weight of your bow to 40 pounds or lower so you can hold the string back for a long time. Even with a blind you want to draw the bow BEFORE the bird can see you.

When I ask bowhunters on my turkey hunting seminars, “What is the best shot” they all say, “pass-through shot”. Perfect for all game but big mistake for turkeys! On a turkey you want the arrow to stick in the bird to prevent it from flying away. To achieve that put a washer or spider legs (grabbers) immediately behind the broadhead. You also can use traditional cut on impact broadheads and cut the tip off.

A turkey that flies away after been hit by an arrow will NEVER be found. When I used to guide turkey hunters this was my number one rule and we would not leave camp until the arrow was fixed up with a penetration-preventing device of some sort.

In addition to all that, take short shots, no more than 30 yards preferably closer. Turkeys can see the arrow in flight and duck faster then we can blink an eye. For more turkey bowhunting tips and tactics you can read some articels on my main website and on my turkey hunting website or ask me here. Glad to help you any way I can.

Good luck.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"