Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey hunting

Re: Turkey hunting

Quote Originally Posted by kamloops killer View Post
    Turkey hunting is open on the Okanagan this year no more LEH fore them.
    All you need is just your hunting licence and NO tag. Are they becomming a pest down there eating the grapes at the winerys. So this could be fun never hunted turkey before see lots of old crows tho.So there must be some turkey hunters out there how you hunt them on private land I don't know.So lets talk TURKEY ha ha ha.
    Thanks Guys
    Yeh, they're pests that eat the grapes at the wineries. We call them tourists......
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Hey Kamloops Killer, If you decide you like turkey hunting, you might consider buying a 17HMR bolt action with scope. I used the 20 grain Hornady XTP ammo, and a Harris bipod, and took one last year at 150 yards! This lets you get your turkey when you see one, and not risk having to call them in to within 40 yards. Of course, there are times when you want to take the time to call them in close, and it is the more sporting way to go... The 20 gr. XTP bullet expands like a hunting bullet, and doesn't "explode" on contact like the 17 grain polymer tip, so if you shoot a bit low it won't damage the meat as much. Savage has a bolt action in 17HMR called the 93R17XP, and they've done it in a camo finish that would be ideal for hunting turkeys, and even comes equipped with their excellent AccuTrigger, for about $350 or so...

so just to confirm we dont need a tag or anything to hunt turkeys right?

Not many in the okanagan yet!!! Gotta drive another 4 hrs east to get in good turkey hunting like I do.....

I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Hey 4wheelinwizard, I just wanted to get back to you...all you need to hunt turkeys is your BC hunting licence. They've written in the past two years, in the regs, about tags for turkeys being under consideration, but so far nothing has come of it. With turkeys being kind of rare, still, except from Grand Forks to Creston, maybe they don't see hunters buying $10 turkey tags on the off chance they'll find one. I don't see tags coming out for turkeys until their population is high right through to Keremeos.
    How many folks from the GVRD are going to drive to the Kootenays for a 15 pound bird, if they're successful? An elk, well that would fill the deep freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    Hey Kamloops Killer, If you decide you like turkey hunting, you might consider buying a 17HMR bolt action with scope. I used the 20 grain Hornady XTP ammo, and a Harris bipod, and took one last year at 150 yards! This lets you get your turkey when you see one, and not risk having to call them in to within 40 yards. Of course, there are times when you want to take the time to call them in close, and it is the more sporting way to go... The 20 gr. XTP bullet expands like a hunting bullet, and doesn't "explode" on contact like the 17 grain polymer tip, so if you shoot a bit low it won't damage the meat as much. Savage has a bolt action in 17HMR called the 93R17XP, and they've done it in a camo finish that would be ideal for hunting turkeys, and even comes equipped with their excellent AccuTrigger, for about $350 or so...
    I gotta jump in here, while everything you say is true, I think its very bad advise!!!! Turkey hunting is all about the experience!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough! Anybody that jumps out of a truck and dumps a bird on the road or snipes one at 100 yards, has completely wasted their time!
    Its not like your filling your freezer, and they dont taste particularly awesome.
    Dont sell your opportunity short. When you call a turkey into close range and dump him, its an amazing experience I can only compare to bugling in a rutting bull elk!
    Myself, Im 3 for 3 now with shotgun, I plan to kick it up a notch this year and use my bow!
    You only get 1 chance in the spring mating season, and its an absolute riot when done rite!! Dont blow it!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

I completely agree, Mark, but the rimfire makes for a great backup while you're learning, and if you haven't called one in close by the end of the weekend... You have the option of calling one into view, and then sniping it at long range. It really is fun to call them into shotgun range, though! By the way, Mark, I've roasted a couple of them and they were delicious, I'll send you the recipe if you like...
    Last edited by Singleshotneeded; 03-02-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

You’re like me Mark in that you go for wall hanger gobbler. Big mature toms do not taste very nice. If it’s for the freezer go after a jake they are tender and way delicious.

You're right calling a big tom in close is a thrill. As you know I have been hunting these birds for over 15 years and it still is as much fun as the first day. I can't wait to get all the seminars done and then head out to do some scouting. Gobble, gobble here I come.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Just wanted to recommend a turkey call, it's the Lohman Psycho
    Turkey Call, and it's a slate call with a push button built in. You can
    make a full range of turkey sounds, and when you cutt with the slate it sounds different than with the push button, so it sounds like two different turkeys... The other good thing about it is that you can get pretty loud
    when you want, or go for the subtle approach. Excellent product!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    I completely agree, Mark, but the rimfire makes for a great backup while you're learning, and if you haven't called one in close by the end of the weekend... You have the option of calling one into view, and then sniping it at long range. It really is fun to call them into shotgun range, though! By the way, Mark, I've roasted a couple of them and they were delicious, I'll send you the recipe if you like...
    I suppose you have a point, I just wanted to make mine also, especially as most people are just getting into the sport!
    I crockpoted my jake last year and it was awesome, but Id certainly be open to a new recipe idea!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!