Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey hunting

Re: Turkey hunting

I have seen some, but not in region 8-9 where they are open.

Hey Beeker.I have seen several and so have a lot of other people.You live in the wrong part of tha Okanagan.I saw the first one three years ago.They are not real plentiful in area nine yet but just because you have not seen any in the Kelowna area does not mean much down here in tha southern Okanagan.

i saw two of them in the postill lake area of kelowna three weeks ago. they just crossed the road in front of us and went through a clear cut and into the timber, watching us the whole way.

Postil is park land, no hunting allowed there??

Welcome to the site Rutger, but this thread, in case you didn't notice, is from Oct 2005

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutger View Post
    Postil is park land, no hunting allowed there??
    Not to mention that postil is NOT parkland, tons of people hunt there, and mud-bog!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

In 2006 the turkey population was on the rise .As one who spends half my time hunting upland game U can bet your ass I have been keeping an eye on those sweet birds. In 2007 we noticed a decline in numbers in the posill area but still a few were around.I hunted grouse a couple of times when the dogs would put up a gobbler, now that is something to rattle you when they fly. For 2008 Idid not see one bird ,I suspect poachers or coyotes. I am still in a couple of areas on a daily basis picking up garbage and monitering lakes so if I see anything interesting I will post .

Just FYI, I picked up a video last week by Primos called "Mastering the Art" of spring turkey hunting, it comes with a mouth call and really teaches the finer points of turkey hunting, and all the strategies. It was only $15, and is well worth it for the novice turkey hunter...

This winter I have seen over 30 turkeys , but along the Hwy.

One day saw 8 nice ones just north of Beaverdell.
    Last week saw a flock of 6 by Bridesville.
    Have also saw 8 in Rock Cr.

Things are huge.

First one I ever saw while hunting in Beaverdell about 9 years ago.

A buddy in Westbridge started to breed them & let them loose over 20 years ago. He was taken to court for it, but it was thrown out as they were native to the area.
    This fall I also saw a flock of Valtures (spelling?) in Christian Valley

Videos and books are a good way to learn more about turkey hunting and so is spending time in the outdoors and observe the animals.
    Another good way, the best, to get new turkey hunters started off on the right foot is to attend a seminar. As look would have it there is a great four hour turkey hunting seminar coming up in Vernon.

Date: March 21, 09.
    Admission Fee: $ 25.00
    Time: 1pm to 5pm
    For more information or to book please contact the President of the Vernon Fish & Game Club at: 250-550-4069 or email at: davepusey@shaw.ca
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"