Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to fix Alum boat ??

how to fix Alum boat ??

Hi I would like to try to fix a leak at the bottom of the Alum boat,so what kind of glue I can use ? something like silicon........?? where can I buy it from ?any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!! Gary

2. Site Sponsor

Re: how to fix Alum boat ??

you can buy some Alum, sealer from a hardwear store, would be better then sillicone,,

Quote Originally Posted by gary mok View Post
    Hi I would like to try to fix a leak at the bottom of the Alum boat,so what kind of glue I can use ? something like silicon........?? where can I buy it from ?any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!! Gary
    3M makes a product called Sikaflex (my spelling suks) good above and below the water line, great adheasive
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    3M makes a product called Sikaflex (my spelling suks) good above and below the water line, great adheasive
    what is 3M ? where can I buy it ? thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gary mok View Post
    what is 3M ? where can I buy it ? thanks !!!
    What is 3M? www.3M.com Goto a marine suplyer and ask for it by name, unless your missing the bottom of the boat this stuff will seal it.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    What is 3M? www.3M.com Goto a marine suplyer and ask for it by name, unless your missing the bottom of the boat this stuff will seal it.
    LOL....... thanks buddy !!!

stevston marine should have it

best would be to layout and rivet a .040 aluminum doubler over the hole sealed with proseal 870 available at aviall. B 1/2 will give you a half hour pot life and B2 will give you two hours, 1/2 should be all you need if you work quick.
    If you need more info Pm me
    You'll never see me on Hoarders , cause I cant afford that much sh_t!!

Sikaflex is specifically made to do that job (made by Sika). The tube will say LOT291 on the label. It skins over in a couple hours but takes a lot longer to cure fully. Local humidity makes a difference as it needs moisture in the air to cure. I assume it's just a popped rivet or seam, but if it's a hole then a doubler as Gnarly suggested would complement the Sika as well. Rivets and seams are a problem in most older 'tin boats'

The equivalent 3M product is called 5200. Sika's easier to work and doesn't turn yellow in the sun but is a little more $$ than 5200. I can get it locally at the building supply.

CHECK THE EXPIRY DATE ON IT !!!!

I've probably got a part tube floating around here somewhere if you just need a bit and you're not picky about color.
    Last edited by Deadeye; 07-02-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle

I agree with Gnarly's suggestion, patching it is the best way to fix it if the holes that big. silicone or Sikaflex will wear out over time and the whole will increase if it's in an area that gets alot of beating on it. I use a product called Duraglass at work for filling small holes and cracks. It's supper durable and easy to sand too. If you decide to patch it and use pop rivets cover the rivets and seem with duraglass, Rivets don't last long in a marine enviroment!

Hope this helps abit, good luck.

Plincker
    First--Know the land-know your prey.