Thread: Advice on Marathon Marine Jet Boats

Advice on Marathon Marine Jet Boats

Hello all...

I am looking at a second-hand 1998 17.5 ft. Marathon Marine Jet Boat with 175Hp Mercury Sportjet engine and a 12 degree aluminum hull with a 6 ft. bottom. I want the boat for hunting and fishing in northern BC/Yukon. I am a little concerned that the boat may not be big enough to handle 2-3 guys with a week or so worth of gear/food... Does anyone have experience with or views on the Marathon boats and any thoughts on the size for what I want to do...

Many thanks

Mike

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on Marathon Marine Jet Boats

I know a few people that own a Marathon jet boat and have been happy with their construction. Most of them own the 19' or 21' boat with V8 or V6 engins but the Merc 175 is a good engin. The boat you are looking at is good for only 2 people not 3 normally as when you get 3 animals in it and your gear you are pushing its capabilities. Depending on what rivers you are looking at for some of the smaller rivers you may want the UHMW plastic on the bottom to protect you from those rocks that seam to jump out of the water all the time.

If you want to cover the bottom, I can get you in contact with Jamie, he's the best at covering the bottoms with poly as theres no drilling into the boat whatsoever and he does alot of them, including TNT's etc...
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I second the opinion that the 175 SJ is a little underpowered for 3 men and all your gear. It is however an excellent motor and is one that at least you can work on if it quits downriver unlike the new EFI ones that are now being used. It will be fine for a couple of people. Consider installing a Scott trim nozzle and a screw type impeller if you purchase the boat. it is fairly costly but the performance vastly improves and the boat planes much better with a heavy load. The UHMW definately helps slide over rocks, sand etc. but does NOT offer any protection. The only way you achieve that is with a heavier bottom or a skid plate.

A lot of boats have shallower degree hulls than 12 degrees. Most of the small boats are 8 degree hulls. The big boats are 10 degree hulls. I don't think the 175 sportjet is very fuel efficient under load either. You would be better off to go the 350 route if more than 2 people + fuel + gear + game.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I had a 16' boat and it had tons of room for 2 guys and all our gear. If you are packing lots of fuel then 3 guys is out of the question. I was packing 120 gallons of gas in gerry cans plus all our gear. Got on step no problem with the 240 sportjet. My boat was a 8 degree so gets on step a little easier.

I now have a 17' with a 200 optimax and I will be fine with 2 guys. Going with 3 people you would want a 21' with a 350 or 383 with a Hamilton 212. Could pack 3 people and 200 gallons of fuel.

I believe that combo will work fine for you. I spend a lot of time on the river and have seen lots of boats the same or similar loaded to the nutz. Just don't go with an insane load toward the end of the season up there and you will be fine.

Good Luck with your possible purchase.