Thread: GPS on a PDA

GPS on a PDA

Hi,
    Browsing through the selection of new GPS units in Wholesale Sports here in Kamloops last weekend I noticed that all the models stocked were hand-held GPS units. Does anyone make a PDA with GPS ready installed? I know they are available for street use but what about for back country and bush use?
    Regards
    Tack
    If at first you don't succeed, don't take the Royal Marines freefall course.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GPS on a PDA

Garmin makes one, look on there website. I personally would advise against a PDA type GPS for backcountry use. You would be better off to get one that is mean for rugged use such as: a Garmin 60, Rino 530, and etc. I think the PDA wouldn't hold up as well to adverse conditions.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I use a PDA and wireless GPS for work...As tough as a garmin, used it in driving rain, down to minus 36 celcius, hot, dropped it, you name it...AND they multitask.....

However, there are some downsides like having to know how to use them to the full potential....A simple garmin is a lot easier to use for your applications...

if your thinkin for back woods i highly recomend a garmin(IMO the RINO line is best FRS radio and GPS combined) and go with the 120 or higher depending on your price range ive got a RINO110 bought used(2hrs on the memory) for $150 its very basic next to no memory lowgrade maps but very simple to use....also got a RINO120 that has died(my own stupidity i left cheap batteries in it without using it for a long period of time in my vehicle they exploded and i learned my lesson bout leaving batteries in unused electronices) still not a big deal got it used less than an 1hr on memory for cheap.....now im movin up to a RINO 130 in the next few months as i found a great deal online in canadian