Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hunting shelter.

New hunting shelter.

Well I finally convinced my wife that we should get a camper for the truck. We've got friends that go camping all the time and she figured it would be fun, so we started looking around on the Internet and purchased one the following day. It's an Adventurer 76r import camper. It fits on the 1/4-ton trucks. I had to get air lift bags installed on the rear shocks for stability and had to have the belly bands custom made as they don't factory fabricate them.

It's my first camper and I've got to say I'm really impressed with the storage space for such a compact unit. This camper has a propane fridge, stove, oven, and furnace. It's got a 10-gallon water tank and sink. The only thing it doesn't have is a shower and a toilet. I'm not to concerned about that as my nylon tent didn't have these features either so I'm sure I wont miss them.

This unit sleeps 4 people. It's got a bed over the cab and two couches fold down and join to create another bed.

Marc.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New hunting shelter.

Looks great!!

I got acamper this year (basicaly for free- I traded some stuff I didn't need) But yours is way slicker!

Campers are so nice in that you can just spend an hour mounting the thing, and then there is minimal set up when you get to were you want to go...So you can do what you want to do.

LIKE HUNT!!!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Marc, make very certain that your trucks GVW is high enough to cover the use of your camper. The ICBC inspection thugs have been known to yank people off of the road for it not being in line with their usage. Even tourists were not immune in the southern Okanagan a couple of years ago.

Other than that, colour me jealous! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Looks pretty nice Marc! I bet you can't wait to track mud and deer blood into it!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

nice lookin unit Marc

As fred said ya gotta watch the ICBC idiots

I know of a guy that had his unit on the truck and was towin a trailer and got pulled over by the DOT

the told him to drop the trailer or drop the camper he couldn't have both
    Also some of the newer trucks don't have the GVW for older style campers
    which are heavier
    Your truck is an older one and the newer unit should be a lighter one so it should be OK
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Happy for you that you have a camper you now need a trailer.Your wife will really love you when you stuff a stinky mulie in it.

Like Blacktail said I think the older rangers were built to handle a bit more weight and with the air bags installed on the rear springs you don’t even notice the weight of the camper on the wheels. These campers are fairly light. This particular one only weights 1140lbs that is light when we talk truck campers. Most of them are in the 2000lbs range.

The center of gravity on this camper is situated towards the front so not all the weight is put on the rear axels.

I spent the night in it last night reading hunting articles and put the furnace on to test it out. I heard the furnace come on about 3 times as I’m a light sleeper and was extremely comfortable.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

It will look very good filled with carcasses. Nice buy.

Ken

Go to an Agents and check your GVW anyway Marc. It is better to be safe than have some beauracrap ruin your holiday for you. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

It isnt what your truck can handle for weight that they go by, it is the factory issued gvw that is the weight capacity. you can insure a vehicle for more then the factory issued gvw but that doesnt entitle you to operate said vehicle on public highways if you exceed the factory issued GVW. If you are to follow the letter of the law any excess above the GVW issued from the factory is a no no and could result in a fine or tow or what have you. Just run over the scales for a looksee. .
    On the other hand, out of sight out of mind. if it doesnt look heavy on you rig then I doubt they would give it a second look.

By the way it looks really nice
    Last edited by Barracuda; 07-16-2005 at 10:47 AM.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”