Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Backpack Time

Re: New Backpack Time

I had a chance to check out the Mystery Ranch System when a fellow I know here bought one. I compared it side by side with my Barney pack and I thought it was an interesting pack.

I asked myself which pack would I use for my sheep hunting between the two. While the Mystery is only a couple pounds lighter, I did not like how the 'pack bag' attaches to the 'frame'.

Overall between the two, the Barney still came out as the tougher pack to take for long extended sheep hunts.

That said, if I was hunting 3-6 day hunts for sheep along the Fraser, Ashnola etc, I'd be inclined to try out the Mystery Ranch. But anything beyond and I want the Barney. Its a proven pack and I have had 'zero' problems with mine over several sheep hunts.
    Last edited by BCrams; 06-18-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Can't seem to find any details on Barney packs...can someone give me a site to look them up

I put 70 lbs in the new MR pack last night, hiked up a hill, downa bit up a biit and finally ended up at our rifle range, walked out to 300 yard stand and put up a target, got back to firing line and dropped the pack as a rest.

Took 3 shots at the 300 yard target for a pretty good group, checked elevation then adjusted scope.

Half a dozen shots on the 340 yard gong and I packed up and headed down the hill.

Good drill for hunting, getting a little work out and then shooting. I'll do that a few more times beofre the season, for sure!

70lbs felt like something, but it felt pretty good in the new pack. I'm pretty satisifed so far.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

This is a good thread.
    I'm in the market for a pack for a 2 week sheep hunt this year too, had my eyes on the MR.
    I've got a J104 which is fine for a few nights or whatever but with the super spike duffel on, it brings the weight way out "back" and behind you.
    Just about any pack is fine for a few days, but 10-14 days is a serious new ball game when comparing packs...
    And going in isnt what I'm concerned about it handling.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Can't seem to find any details on Barney packs...can someone give me a site to look them up
    "Barney's Sports Chalet" is in the middle of reworking their website to become a better "online" store....to serve us better.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I'm just a hair under 6ft tall. very short legs...like 29" inseam short. any suggestions for a pack designed for a long torso? I don't have an unlimited budget either, so being price conscious is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
    I'm just a hair under 6ft tall. very short legs...like 29" inseam short. any suggestions for a pack designed for a long torso? I don't have an unlimited budget either, so being price conscious is important.
    You should take a look at the MR stuff. I am sure would be able to get a good set up that fits you well.... Give em a call they are happy to talk to ya and answer and questions you got.

The June/ July issue of Eastman's Hunting Journal Magazine reviews several packs, including Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Blackhawk, and couple others.