Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: good deer hunting rifle

Re: good deer hunting rifle

Used is Ok. Buy used from a reputable place like Reliable. They will stand behind used stuff. If it is junk to begin with they won't sell it. I enjoy used stuff, sure I got ripped before but overall it has been good. If you are into old levers you don't have much of a choice but to peruse the used market anyway. As for calibers I would recommend the 30-30, 303 brit or 6.5X 55. Stay away from Magnums as afirst shooter. Work on shot placement/ accuracy. Know your gun and what it can do at different ranges. When it becomes the 5th limb you are good to go!
    Shoot first, answer questions later.

Wink Re: good deer hunting rifle

My self I would stay away from used firearms if I were a newby. You do not know what to look for and that in itself is enough to stay away from the used market. For a first firearm purchase in Canada you can not beat a 30/06. Remington LA BDL in 22 inch barrel. I have been very specific in recommending this firearm. It will do everything you ask of it in Canada, with the exception of the great bears. Bullets are avaliable in any small town sporting goods store or any place that sells fishing tackle, bullets etc.
    from here to Newfoundland. You can get almost any gr weight from varment to heavy swamp donky and elk loads. The 06 has sucessfully taken Mbongo (SP) Cape buff but not recommended. When you get the skill to go after something with attitude you can always step up to a 338 or a 375 H&H. If you are an interested hunter and dedicated shooter, later on, you will not have just one rifle in your arsnel, you will have many but for deer, elk and moose you will always find yourself reaching for the old 06.

just got rid of my 300win mag for the 7mm-08 and will shoot deer to moose with the 708! like said b4 u dont need a thumping thunder magnum to kill deer-moose size game, just get good bullets and shoot at a range you are comfortable with!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElkMasterC View Post
    Shot placement kills animals. Forget the magfags.
    “I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness.” ~Ted Nugent.

that rem. vtr in 308 looks like a good deer gun they call it a varmint rifle, but its only 7 1/2 lbs same as the old 30/06 pump. looks like it would be tough.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

depends what you can take for recoil you could go as small as a 22.250 or 243. to as big as a 338. if you plan on hunting other game besides deer such as elk or moose. for myself i used my friend 300 win mag for my deer but we own a 30.30 and a 270. good for deer moose and elk with bullet placement